Kohler specs

gregjo1948

Threads
It has good compression, starts good, and runs good too. I'm thinking possibly faulty oil ring or maybe oil seal. Would it hold good compression if it had a bad head gasket? I'm having trouble finding parts diagram using the numbers I've got. gregjo1948

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The TH series engine series was short lived, they were called Triad. I have a friend in WI who now has his own power equipment business, but had worked for Kohler and his comment was that Kohler would rather forget having built the Triad line. Even to this day he will not stock a machine with a Kohler engine, Briggs and Kawasaki only. He is a Hustler dealer, I don't remember what other lines he carries. He recommended the Hustler X-ONE, Kawi FX730V, 60" rear discharge deck to me which I purchased new in 2012 for cemetery use, great machine by the way!!!:thumbsup:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

gregjo1948

Threads
The TH series engine series was short lived, they were called Triad. I have a friend in WI who now has his own power equipment business, but had worked for Kohler and his comment was that Kohler would rather forget having built the Triad line. Even to this day he will not stock a machine with a Kohler engine, Briggs and Kawasaki only. He is a Hustler dealer, I don't remember what other lines he carries. He recommended the Hustler X-ONE, Kawi FX730V, 60" rear discharge deck to me which I purchased new in 2012 for cemetery use, great machine by the way!!!:thumbsup:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

I'm a Ferris/Kawasaski guy myself. I'd rather have a Kohler than a Briggs. I can't believe how strange this Triad is: gregjo1948

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The TH aka Triad engines used lost foam casting technology. The heads, cylinders, intake manifold, and upper crankcase half were cast as one piece. it uses overhead cam with a timing belt. The way the engine was made they couldn't mold the cast iron cylinder liners into the block at casting, so they were bored and pressed in from the bottom, which is the way the pistons and valves have to come out. The problem with the engine was when the engine overheated due to debris build up in the engine, which it did, it would overheat the cylinders, the liners would become loose, and move down slightly, at that time the top piston ring would get above the liner and slam it into the crankshaft, which in turn would break both rods.

There is a lot of the parts that are no longer available for this engine. I had one come in last year on a walker, that needed the timing belt replaced, The timing belt also runs the oil pump on this engine. The problem with this engine was the oil pump gear turned about 1/4 turn on the shaft. The oil pump gear is not available.

gregjo1948

Threads
The TH aka Triad engines used lost foam casting technology. The heads, cylinders, intake manifold, and upper crankcase half were cast as one piece. it uses overhead cam with a timing belt. The way the engine was made they couldn't mold the cast iron cylinder liners into the block at casting, so they were bored and pressed in from the bottom, which is the way the pistons and valves have to come out. The problem with the engine was when the engine overheated due to debris build up in the engine, which it did, it would overheat the cylinders, the liners would become loose, and move down slightly, at that time the top piston ring would get above the liner and slam it into the crankshaft, which in turn would break both rods.

There is a lot of the parts that are no longer available for this engine. I had one come in last year on a walker, that needed the timing belt replaced, The timing belt also runs the oil pump on this engine. The problem with this engine was the oil pump gear turned about 1/4 turn on the shaft. The oil pump gear is not available.

I haven't split it open yet. I've been checking into parts avalability. Don't know if rings will be needed but, I haven't been able to locate any. gregjo1948