Kohler single cyl not always starting

wbw

Threads
Hello all, new guy here. I have an almost 7 year old Hustler Zero turn with the Kohler Courage single cyl., 17hp motor. Right now I have an intermitent problem where it doesn't always start. I can turn the key and nothing at all happens. No sound at all. I might do this 3 or 4 times and then the next turn of the key it will start. Runs fine once running. So my question is, do you think it's the starter itself, or the switch that the key is going into?

Any input will be much appreciated. I would like to do this myself if possible. I just spent $540 and lost two and a half weeks to get other work done on it. Now this is happening. Thanks again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the starter is bad, you would still heard the clunk of the solenoid kicking in. Most likely a bad connection on the key switch, and bad safety switch, or a corroded terminal on the safety switch.

wbw

Threads
Thanks ILENGINE. Is that key switch fairly easy to replace? Sort of plug and play maybe? And the safety switch being the one under the seat?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You may need to just clean the key switch terminals, there should also be a safety switch of some kind that acts like a parking brake, could be separate lever or could be one on each Z turn steering arm.

wbw

Threads
The switch that the key goes into has five prongs coming out the bottom of it. So I pulled the connector that goes onto those five prongs off and sprayed WD40 onto the prongs and the connector. Then I sprayed WD40 onto just about every connection that I saw. Also sprayed down into where the key goes. So far it still seems to be working the same. It seems to start on the 3rd or 4th turn of the key. I guess as long as it doesn't get any worse I'll just live with it this way. If it gets worse I'll try replacing the switch that the key goes into. But what about the key? Will replacing the key switch necessitate having a new key?