Export thread

Kohler Oil Filter

shurguywutt

shurguywutt

Is there any aftermarket oil filters that will fit the Kohler KT-725-3097? Maybe something from the auto parts store?

M

MParr

What’s the Kohler part number?
Some Kohler engines use a short filter. That’s usually done for clearance issues. If you have enough clearance, I would use the standard length filter. I’m using a Super Tech ST MP3614 on my Kohler Confidant ZT740. FRAM TG3614, NAPA Gold 1348, WIX 51348, STP S3614, Motorcraft FL 910s. I prefer the Super Tech and STP oil filters because, they are exactly the same filter as the Kohler filter. The only difference is the paint job.

B

bertsmobile1

every after market mower parts supplier does a line of replacement oil filters Rotary & Stens theirs are made by the OEM factory
Mower filters are different to car filters but all mower filters are so close to being the same specification that all the ones with the same threads will interchange which is basically all the Briggs & Kohlers
Honda & some Vanguards have metric threads
After that is it just the physical sizes so they can fit in the confined space around the mower with enough clearance to be changed without removing the engine .
I used to keep over a dozen different engine oil filters but now days it is either a B & S long or B & S short that goes on everything that has a Unified pipe thread.
I have whittled the metrics down to 3 as well.
Note this is only for engine oil filters
Hydro filters are substantially different

H

hlw49

12 050 01-S original oil filter no. Like Bert said Kohler Briggs Tecumseh are all the same and will interchange. If I were to use an aftermarket filter I would use Wix. I'm not sure about the Super Tech. Does Wally World get a better price due to volume or a cheaper quality filter?

M

MParr

12 050 01-S original oil filter no. Like Bert said Kohler Briggs Tecumseh are all the same and will interchange. If I were to use an aftermarket filter I would use Wix. I'm not sure about the Super Tech. Does Wally World get a better price due to volume or a cheaper quality filter?
The Super Tech and Kohler filters are made by Champion Labs. Put them side by side or cut them open. The only differences are the cost and paint colors.

C

cuda383

The Super Tech and Kohler filters are made by Champion Labs. Put them side by side or cut them open. The only differences are the cost and paint colors.
I used the ST3614 in the past with no issues for 11 years on a previous ride on I had.

M

MParr

I used the ST3614 in the past with no issues for 11 years on a previous ride on I had.
I certainly don’t have a problem using the Super Tech ST3614. Right now Kohler is contacting Champion Labs to make their oil filters. In the past Kohler had FRAM make their oil filters. Whichever company gives Kohler the best price for their specifications gets the contract.

StarTech

StarTech

Bull... I like to see you put a Kohler 12 050 01-S 3" OD on in place of a Kawasaki 49065-2057 2-11/16" OD filter. Two completely different diameters.

B

bertsmobile1

I am yet to find one where the machined sealing surface will not accomodate the B & S filters
Some times they are right on the very edge but yet to find one that won't work
I do still have 1/2 a trade pack of the small diameter Kawasaki / Kohler filters but can't remember the last time I needed to fit one
OTOH I am a one man shop and only do around 300 invoices a year so I don't see that many different engines.
The bulk of the residential customers are using a cheap new engines without a filter or an anchient side valve engine that is not filtered either
There would be well over 100 Greenfields or Cox in my run and most of them are 20 + years old & run 8 to 12 Hp unfiltered side valves
In fact I just arranged for a 1988 Greenfields to come in for new corks on the clutch disks .
Current owner has no idea how many hours the machine has, he paid the previous owner $ 100 on top of the house price when he moved in 12 years ago and the hour meter was over 1000 hours then. Since that time he has put another 1200 hours on it till the meter died .

H

hlw49

Item 49065-2057 is not available and will be replaced with 49065-2071
Parts Information The oil filters P/N for each engine is shown in the table below: Category Engine Model Oil Filter PN
A FS481-730V FR651-730V FX481-730V 49065-0721 Or 49065-0724*
B ALL FD and FE FH381-721V FH601-770D FJ180V FX751-1000V 49065-0724 Or 49065-2071 *

Once verified there is no interference on the OEM machine side: hydraulic lines, frame, cables, wiring, etc. NOTES: •Oil filter, P/N 49065-0721 should not be used for engines in “Category B” in the table because of interference with other engine parts such as, the oil cooler or the engine shroud. •Oil filters, P/N 49065-0724 or 49065-2071 will be the replacement oil filters for engines listed in the “Category B” in the table. •Oil filters, P/N 49065-0724 or 49065-2071 may be used in “Category A” once the dealer verifies there is no interference on the OEM machine side: hydraulic lines, frame, cables, wiring, etc.*

M

MParr

Let me add something. If you are the mower owner and do your own oil changes, any aftermarket filters that are the same outside diameter and have the same diameter and thickness of the sealing gasket as the OEM oil filter, they will work just fine.
If you own a repair shop, using OEM filters would make good sense. When a customer sees an OEM filter on his machine, after a service, it gives them a good impression.

StarTech

StarTech

Oh great now I will start having possible interfere problems. Just more OEM caused problem headaches.

I'm down to my last 6 of 50 filters I brought a year ago. I have been using A&I's B1OF243 filter in place of 49065-2057. Now it like I need to order a few samples to find one that will fit physical size wise. Looks Stens or Rotary will have the replacement filters that I need here now. At least it is the trailing end of the season now so I have time to research the filters as don't need to 50+ filter that will not meet the fitment requirements.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

What filter do you guys use on the loncin toro engines?

M

MParr

What filter do you guys use on the loncin toro engines?
What I used on my two former Loncin powered Toros were FRAM TG4967 or STP S4967. There can be problems with oil filter compatibility on the Loncin engines. Some filters that are supposed to fit won’t work. The base plate will bottom out before the gasket can compress enough to seal. Check the Kawasaki oil filter fit. It may work.
See page #17: https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/62000-62999/62879.pdf

B

bertsmobile1

Let me add something. If you are the mower owner and do your own oil changes, any aftermarket filters that are the same outside diameter and have the same diameter and thickness of the sealing gasket as the OEM oil filter, they will work just fine.
If you own a repair shop, using OEM filters would make good sense. When a customer sees an OEM filter on his machine, after a service, it gives them a good impression.
If customer want factory branded filters they are more than welcome to take their mowers to a branded dealer & pay branded dealer pricing.
And of course if I am going to use branded parts then I would have to increase my labour rate to make up for the 35% retail profit on parts because funny enough I am yet to find any mower company that will sell independent repair shops franchise branded parts at wholesale prices .
My customers come to me because I do a good job which I stand behind without question and because I fit aftermarket parts that are around 1/2 the retail price of franchise branded parts .

M

MParr

If customer want factory branded filters they are more than welcome to take their mowers to a branded dealer & pay branded dealer pricing.
And of course if I am going to use branded parts then I would have to increase my labour rate to make up for the 35% retail profit on parts because funny enough I am yet to find any mower company that will sell independent repair shops franchise branded parts at wholesale prices .
My customers come to me because I do a good job which I stand behind without question and because I fit aftermarket parts that are around 1/2 the retail price of franchise branded parts .
I agree with you. However, some customers aren’t very knowledgeable and expect to see a Kohler filter on a Kohler engine or Kawasaki filter on a Kawasaki engine, or B&S filter on a B&S engine.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

What I used on my two former Loncin powered Toros were FRAM TG4967 or STP S4967. There can be problems with oil filter compatibility on the Loncin engines. Some filters that are supposed to fit won’t work. The base plate will bottom out before the gasket can compress enough to seal. Check the Kawasaki oil filter fit. It may work.
See page #17: https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/62000-62999/62879.pdf
Thanks. I have been using the highflow HF303. And yes, i have seen the problem with filters bottoming out on the plate.

shurguywutt

shurguywutt

What’s the Kohler part number?
Some Kohler engines use a short filter. That’s usually done for clearance issues. If you have enough clearance, I would use the standard length filter. I’m using a Super Tech ST MP3614 on my Kohler Confidant ZT740. FRAM TG3614, NAPA Gold 1348, WIX 51348, STP S3614, Motorcraft FL 910s. I prefer the Super Tech and STP oil filters because, they are exactly the same filter as the Kohler filter. The only difference is the paint job.
12-050-01-S

M

MParr

12-050-01-S
That particular filter crosses to a NAPA Gold 1056, FRAM PH8710.
If you can fit a 1/2” longer filter, go with a FRAM TG3614, Super Tech ST3614, or STP S3614.