KOHLER MV18S NO-START COLD

Rob47

Threads
Hi Kohler mechanics;
The Craftsman mower has sat in the barn for a few weeks. Went to start it today and found there was no spark. Since this has not happened before I suspect it was brought on by the cold snap we had here last night >> mid 20's. The coil is suspect since it can also be sensitive to heat during the hot-soak period.
As I write this, it occurred to me that I bought an aftermarket coil last June when the original coil died during hot-soak - summers are hot and humid here.
So do you suspect this is a Mal-function in the coil winding ? Kohler is proud of theirs at $120. I bought the $36 version. Could I be paying for that decision of "false economy" ?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you very well could have been penny wise & pound foolish.
There is a lot of junk out there
Pull the kill wire off the coil and see if you still have no spark.
Should that be the case then the new coil is duff.
Also check that there is no voltage on the coil kill wire as that will kill the timing chip insiide the coil instantly.

Rob47

Threads
Thanks Bert.
I hope the magnets are not the issue. I bought a used Kohler 22 HP 4 years ago and when it got here, I found the magnets had fallen off the flywheel.
Will check the things you mentioned.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
How did you test for spark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The magneto magnets are on the outside.
They produce the spark.
The magnets on the inside produce the electricity for recharging the battery.
Neither has anything to do with the other.

Rob47

Threads
How did you test for spark?
With a #2 phillips screwdriver into the spark plug boot and holding it off a ground by 1/8" .

Rob47

Threads
Magnets;
YOU ARE SO RIGHT
, and I was having a brain fart at the time I wrote. Too many other distractions hovering.