Kohler Magnum18 hp ignition problem.

wttnlarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler magnum 18hp will not turn over when the electric start key is turned to the start position. If I put the key in the on position and cross the post on the solenoid the starter will engage and the engine will turn over and start.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check for 12 volts DC at the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position. If not find out why.

Do you have mice around your place?

Going to need some mower and engine numbers to help you.

Welcome to the forum Larry.

wttnlarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check for 12 volts DC at the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position. If not find out why.

Do you have mice around your place?

Going to need some mower and engine numbers to help you.

Welcome to the forum Larry.
Hello Slomo, There is nothing on the starter side of the solenoid with the key in the on position. Very few mice, engine is a Kohler Magnum model M1809 and it is installed in a Dig It 198T compact industrial tractor. All for now, Larry.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Slomo, There is nothing on the starter side of the solenoid with the key in the on position. Very few mice, engine is a Kohler Magnum model M1809 and it is installed in a Dig It 198T compact industrial tractor. All for now, Larry.
Need to figure out why you don't have 12 volts at the small starter solenoid control wire.

wttnlarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Slomo, just to let you know that I solved my problem. It turns out that the tractor is equipped with a neutral start switch on the hydrostatic drive control peddle and both of the wires were disconnected. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. All for now, Larry.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. All for now, Larry.
You are most welcome Larry.

And thank you for saying those words. Rare to see a person come back and say thanks. You are a CLASS ACT Larry!! (y)

wttnlarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Slomo, Regarding the previous Kohler Magnum engine ( in a Dig-It 198T compact industrial tractor) posting above that you helped me with, I'm having another problem with that unit. From time to time the engine will not start. When I check for spark there is none. This problem happened last evening when I wanted to use the tractor it would not start, there was no spark. This morning I checked on it and the spark was good and it started right away. Sure don't understand this one?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Slomo, Regarding the previous Kohler Magnum engine ( in a Dig-It 198T compact industrial tractor) posting above that you helped me with, I'm having another problem with that unit. From time to time the engine will not start. When I check for spark there is none. This problem happened last evening when I wanted to use the tractor it would not start, there was no spark. This morning I checked on it and the spark was good and it started right away. Sure don't understand this one?
Need to load test the ignition coils.

Also could be a safety switch causing this. PTO engaged,,,,,,

Sand smooth the ignition coil mounting area for a solid coil ground.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got a couple of stand on loaders in the service run
They are forever getting debris stuck under the safety step preventing the operator present switch activating
This one is on a cable so I made a shorter arm at the switch end which caused the switch to close if I put a brick on the stand.

wttnlarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a couple of stand on loaders in the service run
They are forever getting debris stuck under the safety step preventing the operator present switch activating
This one is on a cable so I made a shorter arm at the switch end which caused the switch to close if I put a brick on the stand.
Need to load test the ignition coils.

Also could be a safety switch causing this. PTO engaged,,,,,,

Sand smooth the ignition coil mounting area for a solid coil ground.
Does the ignition key switch need to be grounded and could that be the problem??