Kohler K532S. Blown. Worth rebuilding?

JohnDeere9504

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve got an Excel Hustler mower, model #919779 with a Kohler K532S (53123a)? engine and it needs rebuilt. Found it for free and when turning over the engine, one piston doesn’t move. So my guess it blew up and probably needs a connecting rod assembly or the whole piston/rings/rod assembly and who knows what else. We’ve already put $60+ into it for the ignition system and I don’t know how much parts are but would it be worth rebuilding?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
take it apart, document it so you can put it back together, figure out what parts you need, price them and see if you think it is worthwhile. Usually it costs as much or more to rebuild things these days than new. If one piston does not move it can be a broken piston, crank, or rod. If the crank broke cleanly then maybe you just need a crank and bearings, new rings etc.. If a rod broke and it beat the case and cylinders then you need a case, crank, rods, etc.. Have to take it apart to know what it needs. Or you can part out the good parts to get the $60 back.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only you can decide whether it is worth your time and money to rebuild the engine. As stated you will have to open the engine up and find out what is bad and what is good.

DaveTN

Threads
Sounds like a good "Winter Project" huh?