Kohler hot re-start problem

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, we have a place to start. First, how to stop the fuel flow. Take a vicegrip pliers and set it so when clamped over the fuel line no flow. Now you can remove the solenoid. You fill need a thin 1/2" or 9/16" tappet wrench. You may be able to borrow one from your auto mechanic. Unplug and remove the solenoid. Let's do one more test at this time. Hold the case on the neg. terminal of a battery and attach a wire to the solenoid wire and jump it to the pos. terminal. Does the plunger move. If no replace. Let me know what happens.

elderone1

Threads
OK...before removing the solenoid etc.

I disconnected the feed wire to the solenoid. I ran a jumper from the battery positive to the solenoid feed....no feel or sound of action.

I connected a DC voltmeter from the solenoid power source wire, and turned the ignition to start, getting the expected controlled voltage of 9-10 volts. So the system tries to power the solenoid allright, but I guess nothing is happening.

Before I remove the solenoid, I'll check tomorrow with one of the local service stores....I think some Sears lawn tractors have Kohler Courage engines, and maybe have parts. Otherwise, the nearest Cub Cadet dealer is over 100 km away, and I want to know I can get a replacement before I remove the old one.
Thanks again!!!

bollingball

Threads
They make a testing bypass plug just for this. If you have a hardware store take the sol. with you and match the threads up might be 1/8th inch pipe. I put one on mine 6 years ago and it is still there. This was on a JD LT180 so the way the fuel line and pump is laid out allows this to work. I have never had it backfire wont hurt to try it. The John Deere dealer told me to take side cutters and snip the end of the plunger off:laughing: It is NC so without power the plunger is spring loaded closed and pulls open with 12v.Mowers worked for many years without these things. Then the EPA came along.

Ken

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Tree huggers should chew our lawns like grazing cows

elderone1

Threads
I forgot to finish this issue. Found the antifire soleniod kaput. Replaced with a new one.
Engine now performs at its expected faultless condition.

Thanks for guidance. :smile:

Vangoat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot to finish this issue. Found the antifire soleniod kaput. Replaced with a new one.
Engine now performs at its expected faultless condition.

Thanks for guidance. :smile:

damn Kohler, I've got the same problem. sounds like the same story too. I'm on my third solenoid by the way. good luck