Kohler engine quits

pasam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,
I have a Exmark TR20K Turf Ranger with a Kohler CV20S motor that after mowing for 2 hours just sputters and quits. After setting for about 5 minutes it will fire right up and run fine for about 1/2 hour, then does it again. The fuel pump and filter have been replaced, and the fuel tank cap vent checked. Something seems to be heating up and opening electrical. Seat switch and deck clutch have been bypassed for testing purposes. I've ordered electronic module and rectifier, but don't think they are the problem. Since the Turf Ranger has been out of production for a number of years dealer help is scarce. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks, Sam

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum. :smile:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next time check to see if you have good spark, could well be coil going bad when hot...!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it wouldn't start for 5 minutes take advantage of that time. Are you missing spark or fuel. You need 4 things and it will run spark, fuel, compression, timing. Seeing it runs good for 2hrs. I would think you would have good compression and timing unless the valves are tight.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Next time check to see if you have good spark, could well be coil going bad when hot...!

Kohler CV20 would have two coils so if it had a bad coil wouldn't it just lose a lot of power but still run? Just repair a CV21 with a bad coil about one month ago.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up your full engine's model numbers, you may have SmartSpark, which can be a pain.