Kohler engine not getting gas to engine

42JeffBrown

Threads
I have a 10 year old Kohler 27 hp. recently the mower would die when putting on load on it (cutting thicker grass). I changed the fuel line to both tanks and now it runs freely to the new filter that I replaced. I then replaced the fuel pump just to make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm still not getting gas into the fuel filter. How do I check or get the fuel pump to suck the gas to the engine?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you sure you installed fuel filter correctly? You may have it reversed, let us know we all make mistakes, thanks, Mark

42JeffBrown

Threads
Are you sure you installed fuel filter correctly? You may have it reversed, let us know we all make mistakes, thanks, Mark
yes, I double checked and the arrow is going from tank to the engine!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel line should go from the tank to the fuel filter the to the fuel pump. Pull the line off the pump that goes to the carb. Crank the engine and gas should come out of the pump outlet with rhythmic pulses.

42JeffBrown

Threads
Fuel line should go from the tank to the fuel filter the to the fuel pump. Pull the line off the pump that goes to the carb. Crank the engine and gas should come out of the pump outlet with rhythmic pulses.
excellent. Yes, it is coming out fast and when I shut it down, it was starting to do the rhythm. My fuel filter is now full of gas and so it should run well now. I thought I'd go ahead and take the carb off and clean it while I've got it broken down.
Does anyone know what the compression should be on each cylinder while running on the other cylinder? I'm getting bounces around 85-90 on both sides. At the top is was 180, which is where the tester held. Is that correct? The engine sounds good.

Last edited:

mark029

Threads
I have that same engine except for mine was once fuel injected. I couldn't get a pump like yours to run to save my life so I just put a small electric pump on it. Even with the electric pump I've never seen my filter full. I've tried everything I know and it's just not interested in filling the filter I guess.