Kohler CV640 revs way too high

marmstead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have an early Simplicity ZTR 14-44(I think) with a Kohler Command CV 460S-16 hp engine. It's the one with the steering bars on the center column. It has been abused (not by me, of course) but still does the job. It's amazing how it putts through tall, wet grass if the blades are sharp.

It does have a problem, however. The engine revs extreamly high and has poor response to the throttle lever. It wants to either idle or go wide open, very hard to find middle setting. Also, I have to manually adjust engine speed if I go up a hill or hit a patch of high grass. The same goes for going down hill or returning to lower grass, the rpm's scream until I adjust the throttle. It started doing this gradually, it would run fast for a while and then settle down after 20-30 seconds. The occurences became more often and it would act up for longer periods of time until it just never went back to normal.

Repair guy says he's seen this many times before, it needs a new carb-the old one is not repairable. He says the governor is fine, just give him $150. to install the carb and it 'll be back to normal. This sounds fishy to me.

Any insight from the forum?

jteuban

Threads
Hello, Your problem is a simple one but can be a pain to fix. It is the governor system on the inside of the engine. What you have to do is pull the engine off and split the crankcase. After you do this it will be VERY easy to tell what the problem is. Most of the time the governor system on the inside is all plastic. It will prob. be busted very badly. once you get all the scraps from the engine, take it to your local dealer and they should be able to get what you need. But be carful, you do not need the whole mechinism just the STUFF on the inside of the crankcase. your repair shop prob did not split the crankcase to see the prob, and I can understand that, its a pain.
wow thats a lot, $150 is way too much. I would not pay someone that much money to install a carb, be weary of some repair shops well good luck with your prob and I hope you get it fixed. cheers

dnewils2k2@wilsonbros

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have an early Simplicity ZTR 14-44(I think) with a Kohler Command CV 460S-16 hp engine. It's the one with the steering bars on the center column. It has been abused (not by me, of course) but still does the job. It's amazing how it putts through tall, wet grass if the blades are sharp.

It does have a problem, however. The engine revs extreamly high and has poor response to the throttle lever. It wants to either idle or go wide open, very hard to find middle setting. Also, I have to manually adjust engine speed if I go up a hill or hit a patch of high grass. The same goes for going down hill or returning to lower grass, the rpm's scream until I adjust the throttle. It started doing this gradually, it would run fast for a while and then settle down after 20-30 seconds. The occurences became more often and it would act up for longer periods of time until it just never went back to normal.

Repair guy says he's seen this many times before, it needs a new carb-the old one is not repairable. He says the governor is fine, just give him $150. to install the carb and it 'll be back to normal. This sounds fishy to me.

Any insight from the forum?
sounds like carb problem typical of a dealer to suggest new carb if you are in a hurry get a new carb if not spend the time to clean it out if you don't know what you are doing buy a new carb!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a close look at your carb.
There are two butterfly valves.
The one nearest the air filter is the choke and the one nearest the engine is the throttle.
It should have a rod attached to it and that rod should go back to a lever.
The lever is in turn clamped ont a shaft poking out of the engine and then there is a spring that connects this lever to the throttle control that you move.

The throttle pulls on the spring to stop the govenor closing down the engine.
First check that the spring is there and attached on both ends.
Start the engine.
Put your finger on the lever and move it backwards and forewards slowly and hold it in a few different places.
If the engine responds according to where you move the govenor to then the carb is fine.

Go to this site You will have to put the w's in yourself ( site error)
mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohler-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/
Go down to the one that starts with CV17 ( big engines ) and download the PDF file which is the Kohker service manual.
Read the bit on checking and adjusting the govenor
Any thing you do not understand ask & we will clarify it for you.