Export thread

Kohler CV15s idles choked, backfires and dies off choke

D

dan5003

Kohler CV15s idles with choke on, then as you take it off choke and tries to run a little faster, it starts backfiring and dies. Has new spark plug, spark looks good, carbs been cleaned, gas is clean, coil gapped at .010. Started up and worked fine after sitting for the winter, then when I tried to start it and put it away it had the problem. I did a compression tested and got 190 after a few spins. Not sure what else to check. I don't know much about this stuff, so any ideas are welcomed.

Dan

M

mechanic mark

Air filter clean, fuel filter ok? You need fresh fuel, air, spark, & compression to start. Have you checked valve lash?
scroll down page to CV15S service manual
See section 11 page 11.15 for valve lash adjustment. If valves are out of adjustment compression release on camshaft will not assist in starting.
See Figure 11-37 on page 11.12 Cylinder Head Valve Train Differences, one side non-adjustable & one side adjustable.

D

dan5003

Air filter clean, fuel filter ok? You need fresh fuel, air, spark, & compression to start. Have you checked valve lash?
scroll down page to CV15S service manual
See section 11 page 11.15 for valve lash adjustment. If valves are out of adjustment compression release on camshaft will not assist in starting.
Thank you very much for a link to the service manual. I'm not qualified/certified to service these, just trying to see if I can learn enough to fix my old mower. Thanks to your input I've watched a few videos on doing the adjustment. In section 11.15 it say to use a .07/.12 mm (.003/.005 in.) feeler gauge.

Does that mean .003 for intake and .005 for exhaust?
And is the exhaust rocker the one pictured at the top in the 11-45 photo?

I think knowing these answers should give me enough info to try the adjustment.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Some CV15's use hydraulic lifters and there is no manual clearance adjustment.. post the Spec number from your engine identification tag.
to answer your question, generally the larger clearance is for the exhaust valve.

B

bertsmobile1

Thank you very much for a link to the service manual. I'm not qualified/certified to service these, just trying to see if I can learn enough to fix my old mower. Thanks to your input I've watched a few videos on doing the adjustment. In section 11.15 it say to use a .07/.12 mm (.003/.005 in.) feeler gauge.

Does that mean .003 for intake and .005 for exhaust?
And is the exhaust rocker the one pictured at the top in the 11-45 photo?

I think knowing these answers should give me enough info to try the adjustment.
No it means greater than .003" and less than .005"
Or if you like .004" +/- .001"

D

dan5003

Some CV15's use hydraulic lifters and there is no manual clearance adjustment.. post the Spec number from your engine identification tag.
to answer your question, generally the larger clearance is for the exhaust valve.
Spec number is 41526

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Yep, that engine uses hydraulic lifters so there is no adjustment for valve lash
1619219316981.png

B

bertsmobile1

Either the carb has not been cleaned properly or the engine is sucking air after the fuel has been added .
Check that the solenoid under the carb is fully retracting.
Debris & Varnish gathers there and prevents the plunger fully retracting .

D

dan5003

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I'll check the carb and plunger next.

I've attached a photo. I never found a gasket on the cover. Thought I would need to purchase one to put it back on, but now I'm wondering if had some sort of liquid gasket or something.

What do you guys use, and where to you get it, to put it back together, a gasket or a tube of something? Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

YEs you are correct
That model Kohler uses silicon on the rocker cover
I cut a gasket to go in there because I hate spending hours cleaning old silicone off parts before I can reassemble them.

winmod21

winmod21

. . .These threads that just end like this drive me nuts ! :rolleyes:

Nonetheless I really appreciate being able to read all the replies & suggestions & advice given - as it can help us all.

Yep, that engine uses hydraulic lifters so there is no adjustment for valve lash
View attachment 56189
Scrubcadet10 — If you see this, how do you tell if the lifters are hydraulic and therefore not in need of "adjustment for valve lash"?
All I've been able to find so far, is the procedure for performing the 'valve lash adjustment' on page 11.15 of our Kohler service manual, (same as the one linked abv ^ in post # 2 by mechanic mark).
I've never adjusted valve lash, and so it'd be very helpful to know if likewise, for our engine spec, "there is no adjustment for valve lash", or not. And not sure how to find out. Thanks for any replies.
Our Kohler CV15S is spec # 41571

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

1629152696470.png
Generally if you can't find out if you have adjustable valves (I.e,. Hydraulic lifters or not) by looking at the parts list, if you remove the valve cover, usually you'll see an adjustment mechanism on the rockers, usually consists of a stud and lock nut, or two nuts, one that adjusts the clearance and the other locks the nut into place to hold the clearance proper.

winmod21

winmod21

View attachment 57961
Generally if you can't find out if you have adjustable valves (I.e,. Hydraulic lifters or not) by looking at the parts list, if you remove the valve cover, usually you'll see an adjustment mechanism on the rockers, usually consists of a stud and lock nut, or two nuts, one that adjusts the clearance and the other locks the nut into place to hold the clearance proper.
Thanks very much for reply, Scrubcadet10 ;-)
I'm seeing a different diagram and parts list at: partscatalog.deere.com , but I can see where the valve lifters are specified as: 'LIFTER, VALVE HYDRAULIC' - for our CV15S. So at this point I won't be pulling the valve cover off, thankfully.
Where is your 'Head/Valve/Breather 4-27-63' diagram & parts list page coming from? It's be nice to have the cross-reference for future parts.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Here
i use this as it tends to have the most up to date part numbers and info.
scroll down and log in as guest, however it is going to be deactivated in December of this year.

winmod21

winmod21

Here
i use this as it tends to have the most up to date part numbers and info.
scroll down and log in as guest, however it is going to be deactivated in December of this year.
Thank you very much, Scrubcadet10 !;-)
Oh too bad it's deactivating later this year.
I logged-in as guest; CV15S-41571 doesn't match anything, but I'll explore until I find it.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Thank you very much, Scrubcadet10 !;-)
Oh too bad it's deactivating later this year.
I logged-in as guest; CV15S-41571 doesn't match anything, but I'll explore until I find it.
I took the S off of the model, it showed it as CV15-41571 for John Deere.
1629163787771.png

winmod21

winmod21

I took the S off of the model, it showed it as CV15-41571 for John Deere.
Thanks again, got it ;-) I really appreciate your help.

1629163885242.png

H

hlw49

Command single is the best single cylinder engine ever built.