Export thread

Kohler CV13T shuts off after 5 minutes or so (already read the other posts)

S

svttodd

I read the other "shuts off after 5 minutes" threads and I just wanted to check to be sure that the diagnosis is the same for my engine since most of those posts were for electric start, larger horsepower, v-twin engines.

I have a John Deere GS30 Commercial 36" walk behind mower with a 13hp Kohler 'Command Pro 13' engine (CV13T). Pull start only. I just bought this mower used and I replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, new spark plug, and the engine has fresh gas. It will start very easily, but will shut off after just a few minutes of idling or mowing. With my limited mechanical knowledge, it seems like something electrical is getting hot and shutting off the machine. It shuts down fairly quickly almost like the key was shut off. Sometimes there is slight stuttering for a minute or two before it shuts down, but usually it just shuts right off like you turned off the key. It will restart only when it almost completely cools down. Starting fluid does nothing when it shuts off. Mower does not need starting fluid when cold, and starts pretty easily. I hate to put a ton of money into this thing, so I was hoping for some help on here. Thanks. -Todd

S

svttodd

Oh yeah, I also tried running the mower with the gas cap loose just in case there was a vacuum vent problem, but this did nothing. -Todd

Fish

Fish

Post your engine's "spec" numbers, so we can look at your engine blowup, thanks

S

svttodd

Engine Family: SKH308U1G2RB
Model No.: CV13T
Spec No,: 21249 (unsure if that last number is a nine- very blurry on engine tag)
Displacement (cc): 398
Serial Number: 3017901441
-Todd

Fish

Fish

Well, I couldn't get the spec number to come up, but I looked it up on the John Deere site. It looks like you have hydraulic lifters,
you do not have Smartspark, but you do have a charging system and an electric pto. So you need to focus on your ignition as a culprit, so for starters, unplug the small wire going to your ignition coil and run it and see what happens, also have a spare good plug with you and plug it in if/when it dies again, and check for spark by plugging it in, and laying the metal side of the plug against the block and pull the rope quickly, and check for spark, you may have to remove the plug for a faster pull.

G

gregjo1948

If you have an electric fuel solenoid, it may be faulty. gregjo1948

Fish

Fish

Yeah, I thought about that too, but he doesn't have a battery or electric start, or fuel shutoff solenoid, if the John Deere site is correct. but he does have a charging system........

Fish

Fish

A charging system that feeds an electric pto, but no battery in the system to "cushion" things/fluxes, I have not come across a mower like that before.....

Carscw

Carscw

I have the same engine on my snapper with the same set up with the electric pto. Try letting it run without the pto on

S

svttodd

Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't got a chance to try the spark plug against the block suggestion yet. I will try it after work when I get a chance. The mower does have the electric PTO, but no electric start or battery (weird design). It doesn't seem to matter if I idle it, run it full throttle, or run it with the blades on, it will still die in the same manner after a few minutes. It really seems electrical in the way that it shuts off, because it dies weather you monkey with the throttle or not. There is no 'saving' it once it starts to die.

A new regulator rectifier doesn't seem too expensive, I was thinking about just replacing that 'for good measure'. And maybe the ignition coil and plug wire, but I haven't got a price on those yet. On one hand, I keep thinking 'well, everything is old, maybe I'll just replace items one by one', then I change my mind and I tell myself to actually find the real root of the problem instead of replacing every single thing and blowing a ton of money. Thanks. =Todd

Fish

Fish

Well, I couldn't get the spec number to come up, but I looked it up on the John Deere site. It looks like you have hydraulic lifters,
you do not have Smartspark, but you do have a charging system and an electric pto. So you need to focus on your ignition as a culprit, so for starters, unplug the small wire going to your ignition coil and run it and see what happens, also have a spare good plug with you and plug it in if/when it dies again, and check for spark by plugging it in, and laying the metal side of the plug against the block and pull the rope quickly, and check for spark, you may have to remove the plug for a faster pull.

Why don't you follow the advice that I gave you here?