Kohler Courage V Twin Knocking Sound When Cranking

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Kohler Courage V Twin Knocking Sound When Cranking
SV730S

I hear a knocking sound when cranking it over but it goes away when it fires up. Also it struggles to restart like it has a weak battery but battery has 12+ volts and still does it with my jump pack on it.

Here is a short video. https://youtube.com/shorts/Cyl40VJZWbI?feature=share
You know to really cure the starter problems on the Courage V Twin put a starter for the Command V Twin on it. You will have to do a little rewire on the starter but it is not hard to do. And in the long run much better and does not cost that much more.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure what kind of knocking sound it was. But may have been a loose magnet inside the starter.
If you had a loose magnet it would not turn the engine over

shurguywutt

Threads
Forgive my noob question but are you able to start it manually and how hard would it be to do this? Can you start it with a drill? Is it possible to recoil start? Or are these motors too big?

I have a 23hp Kohler and wondered if I could still start it if the starter/battery ever died?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Forgive my noob question but are you able to start it manually and how hard would it be to do this? Can you start it with a drill? Is it possible to recoil start? Or are these motors too big?

I have a 23hp Kohler and wondered if I could still start it if the starter/battery ever died?

I think you probably could. I've done it on the bench before on a Briggs, with a big drill. But that was before I was warned about overtightening the bolt that holds the flywheel.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you probably could. I've done it on the bench before on a Briggs, with a big drill. But that was before I was warned about overtightening the bolt that holds the flywheel.
I doubt it since the Kohlers have no compression release.