Kohler Courage V Twin Knocking Sound When Cranking

JonnyBlaze

Threads
SV730S

I hear a knocking sound when cranking it over but it goes away when it fires up. Also it struggles to restart like it has a weak battery but battery has 12+ volts and still does it with my jump pack on it.

Here is a short video. https://youtube.com/shorts/Cyl40VJZWbI?feature=share

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I just swapped starter out and it went away and starts a lot better. Whew.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
make sure that all the battery cables are clean and tight. Also clean the negative ground cable where it connects to the frame. May want to check and/or adjust the valves. Also the Courage twins are notorious for having starter issues. Top starter bushing wear, and bending and breaking starter shafts are not unheard of.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
make sure that all the battery cables are clean and tight. Also clean the negative ground cable where it connects to the frame. May want to check and/or adjust the valves. Also the Courage twins are notorious for having starter issues. Top starter bushing wear, and bending and breaking starter shafts are not unheard of.
It was the starter.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Kohler Courage V Twin Knocking Sound When Cranking

And those starters aren't cheap.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And those starters aren't cheap.
The ones that I always liked with the Command solenoid shift starters. The replacement starter solenoid was $171 and the complete starter with the new solenoid was $189.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ones that I always liked with the Command solenoid shift starters. The replacement starter solenoid was $171 and the complete starter with the new solenoid was $189.

I've bought a few from Stens. And theirs seem to hold up pretty good. Better than the two I bought from Amazon.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've bought a few from Stens. And theirs seem to hold up pretty good. Better than the two I bought from Amazon.
Yep, Stens, DB Electrical and few others are all made by Arrowhead...