Kohler courage v twin 23 hp compression release valve?

semimechanicman

Threads
  • / Kohler courage v twin 23 hp compression release valve?
The engine runs good. Only problem is that the engine gets stuck for like a second when you spin the starter over with key. Then it will turn over normally and start. What could be the problem?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would start with a valve adjustment and see what happens. Never had issues with compression release on Courage engines. Have had issues with the underpowered starters getting weak over time and not having enough umph to turn it over proper.

MowerPoraiti

Forum Newbie
Threads
My MTD fitted with that motor also had a problem a bit like that. It ultimately burnt out the starter relay. Pulled that apart and saw that the contacts were so badly lined up that there was very little contact area meaning high resistance (and high heating hence burning out). Replaced with a Stens after market and hey presto - problem solved.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Exactly. That's why I was asking OP if they ever figured it out. That engine doesn't have a compression release so valve clearance doesn't matter. That engine is always going to be under full compression. If the valve clearance was too tight that could affect compression but that would lower it and make the engine easier to turn over.

I've seen many starter solenoid issues and also issues with battery cables. They use such small cables on most of these machines that once you get a couple of years on the unit and nothing is as clean as it was new, you just can't get proper voltage to the starter any longer.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What I am seeing is the Inertia Drive Starter top bushing is wearing out causing the starter to drag. Kohler offers no build parts for these starters.

MowerPoraiti

Forum Newbie
Threads
When delivered the starter motor shaft was bent. It was readily apparent. How could it get bent? The bend was just the section immediately ourdise of the starter body. I presume an assembler dropped the motor but put it in even though it was bent. A workshop friend rotated it in his lathe and we could gradually tap it back into alignment. At least it no longer jammed. Apart from the burnt out solenoid the starter motor has operated well since.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Bent starter shaft was very common on the Courage twin cylinder engines. Kohler had the starter vendor increase the diameter of the shaft and changed the number of teeth on the gear so today that issue should be gone.