Kohler Courage Twin Cam Single

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Cub XT1. For some reason it cranks over fine but takes like 15 seconds to start. I adjusted choke to where it fully closes but no change. I cleaned carb, swapped carb, fresh gas. Plenty of fuel flow to carb. Fuel solenoid works.

What am I missing? Tia.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel tank dump and flush. New fuel lines and filter. Valves checked for factory recommended gap. Spark test jumping a 1/4" gap or more. Cooling fins should get some love.

I would put flywheel key inspection at the top of the list. Incorrect timing can cause many a crank to start.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
will it fire right up if you spray some starting fluid into the carburetor? behind the airfilter.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Fuel tank dump and flush. New fuel lines and filter. Valves checked for factory recommended gap. Spark test jumping a 1/4" gap or more. Cooling fins should get some love.

I would put flywheel key inspection at the top of the list. Incorrect timing can cause many a crank to start.
The exhaust valve was too tight. I adjusted it and think it's better now.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
will it fire right up if you spray some starting fluid into the carburetor? behind the airfilter.
Yes. It fires up on its own. Just takes a few seconds. I took slomo's advice and checked the valves and exhaust was too tight. I adjusted and seems better. I'll try again in a bit.