Kohler Courage Engine?

4wheelin

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member here from Oklahoma with a quick question...

I have almost pulled the trigger on the new Kubota Kommander ZG127s but have heard a lot of negative things about the Kohler Courage engine that is in this model.

Does anyone know if this is a redesigned Courage engine or if is it the same one everybody seems to hate?

I've had a B&S in my JD for the past 10 years and have had no problems at all.

Thanks for any info you guys may have!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would take a guess and say that Kohler is a old company and they would work out all the bugs in the Courage engine. The Kohler Courage has been out a few years now so I would think you would be OK with it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The single cylinder courage had been through more changes that I can keep on track off, but should be mostly bug free now. The twin didn't seem to have all that many problems. The common problem was smoking when mowing on an incline.

The single had improperly torqued cover screw bolts, due to a faulty impact gun at the factory, causing cracked blocks. Camshaft issues with the cam gears, head gasket, and valve problems. Water sitting in the bendix gear recess, causing corrosion problems of the gear, and in some cases freezing the starter shaft.

Over time they got the bugs out of it, and is a very common engine used on a lot of low end rider mowers.

The high end Command engine had similar issues when it first hit the market.

4wheelin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can understand taking a chance on it in a $2k or under mower, but if I have $6k in it, I certainly don't want problems out of it. I may have to go with the B&S model even though it doesn't have lights or upgraded seat. Might even save me a few dollars.

The funny thing is, the Kohler was billed to me as the "Upgraded motor".

Cow

Threads
Hi, i`m in a near situtaion 6 days ago i bought a T series Kubota with the Kohler Courage , not quite as expensive as the Kubota you are thinking about buying but, at any rate i paid over $ 4,000 $ with that kind of $ one expects longer than a 2-4 yr. mower life ( if you are Lucky ) i have read so much about the Courage eng. and sad to say but, it is just CHINA junk , why Kubota would go this route for choice of engs. i do not understand Kubota, my last mower was a Kubota T series that was bought 16 yrs ago & the eng, ( Kawasaki 14 hp is still trouble free ) I have only used my New mower 2 hrs, ( meter hours )
even though it runs ok and cuts fine , i can tell that the Kaw eng. is more smooth running with NO vibration at all ( the new mower does have a small vib. you can even feel it in the sterring wheel )
Maybe i should just chill & stop readingsome many reviews on this low quality of this Courage eng.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's too bad Kohler didn't step forward and admit the problem and notify customers the possibility of their compression relief parts laying in the crank case. Instead they let customers spend thousands world wide attempting to solve a non cranking problem by purchasing starters, solenoids, switches, batteries etc. Then Kohler has the nerve to sell those customers more (supposedly improved ) parts to replace their junk ACR parts laying in the bottom of the crank case.

I'll remember this the next time I need a mower or something with a kohler engine.

0ーF

Cow

Threads
It's too bad Kohler didn't step forward and admit the problem and notify customers the possibility of their compression relief parts laying in the crank case. Instead they let customers spend thousands world wide attempting to solve a non cranking problem by purchasing starters, solenoids, switches, batteries etc. Then Kohler has the nerve to sell those customers more (supposedly improved ) parts to replace their junk ACR parts laying in the bottom of the crank case.

I'll remember this the next time I need a mower or something with a kohler engine.

0ーF

I agree with you 100% , when it has been proven over & over that truly a low quality product has replaced a once very reliable product Kubota ( in this case ) should have stepped up to the plate
and admit we goofed , instead they inform the public they are selling Quality when all the while
they put cheap China engs. in these high $ mowers .
Maybe others will have some insight about this matter before they get drawn in as i did.
Buyer Beware .