Kohler Courage engine cases

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I went to a farm show called Empire Farm Days. Kohler had a booth set up. So I asked the person at the Kohler booth about the cracked engine blocks they were having in the Courage engines. He told me that Kohler knew about the problem and was covering the cost of parts if the work was done at a Kohler dealer. So if someone has this problem there is help from Kohler but part only, no matter how old or how many hours the Courage engine has. Hope this information is helpful.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
So let me see they give you free parts and the dealer charges you more money than a new engine. Sound good to me.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So let me see they give you free parts and the dealer charges you more money than a new engine. Sound good to me.

I have no idea about cost. I was just passing on what was told to me. As I recalled the last one I had in my shop a new engine ran better then 800 dollars. I would think now and just guessing that the dealer would install a new short block. It should't take them more then 3 hours at the most at 70 dollars a hour, that would be 210 dollars. The last time I repaired a cracked Courage block the bill was 600 dollars. Yes there is some dishonest dealers out there. Now if you do have this problem I would suggest that you do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not so lucky around here. Friend of mine that did not want to bother me got an oil change. New plugs and filter for $400.00 I could imagine what a short block change would be.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't condem all dealers for the likes of a few bad apples. We have done many of these warranty repairs and the cost ranges $150-400. Reason for the range is that some customers want us to R & R the engine from the unit. This can double the cost, especially if they also want other things done, ie; sharpen blades, level decks, check and hydros, etc. Most short block work run about 2-2.5 hours

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't condem all dealers for the likes of a few bad apples. We have done many of these warranty repairs and the cost ranges $150-400. Reason for the range is that some customers want us to R & R the engine from the unit. This can double the cost, especially if they also want other things done, ie; sharpen blades, level decks, check and hydros, etc. Most short block work run about 2-2.5 hours

I didn't make too bad of a guess at 3 hrs. and I was making a high guess. New plugs and filter 400 dollars something doesn't sound right here. I don't know how a dealer can stay in business when they are ripping off customers like that. It sound like they want to get out of the repair end of the business and sales only??

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I told him I would have done it for cost + $50 he was pissed. I just dont trust very many dealers. My son works for a car dealership that does the same thing. I see it this way. I can change a lot of parts for the price a dealer charges for labor. So I can make a lot of mistakes for less money normally. I have gained lots of knowledge in my many years of working on mine and others engines (cars and lawn mower). Fixed my first lawnmower at age 12 and I'm 49 now.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know if you meant my $400 high end price was out of line or not. To get that high we would be doing a complete checkover as well as a short block replacement with R & R. This includes replace engine with short block, clean and level deck, sharpen and/or replace blades, check and do appropriate drive maintenance which could include replacing belts and pulleys, check and lube all appropriate parts, etc. Replacement parts not covered under the warranty may include, blades, belts, pulleys, air filter (I know Kohler should cover this) etc. I remember one customer got his unit for free and wanted us to do everything. His bill was close to $600, but the unit was in good shape and he then had a nearly new unit. Hope this explains what good dealers do.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rivets no disrespect to you or anyone that works for or owns an honest dealership. I just have not found one in my area. I know a few owners of lawn mowing businesses and they complain all the time about mower repairs from their dealers. I have looked up repairs they have had done and it is not inline with work completed. If you have to have it fixed, you pay what you have to to get back to mowing. One company charged more to sharpen the blades than it cost to buy a new set. All the cost was for removing and replacing blades. Only $7.00 each to sharpen them. $70.00 dollars and hour to take off and put back on, 1 hour min. That is how to make money.

D

DJlawnboy

Not so lucky around here. Friend of mine that did not want to bother me got an oil change. New plugs and filter for $400.00 I could imagine what a short block change would be.

What the hell?! I got my oil change by my dealer for 40 bucks. That includes new plugs and filter plus a once over to make sure it all ran good. Sounds like he got taken to the cleaners.