Kohler Courage 20hp SV470-610 Popping through Carb, won't start.

Yorkie3621

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler Courage 20hp SV470-610 Popping through Carb, won't start.
Has about 200 hours on it, 13 years old. Replaced carb (Kohler brand) solenoid, starter & battery.

Has always run good and been very well maintained. A coup;le of weeks ago my father-in-law borrowed it and got off while the engine was still running and caused a couple of backfires. He finished using it and when I went to use it, it fired up well as usual and then began to die quickly and now all I'm getting is a popping sound and gas escaping through the carb and it won't start at all.

Thoughts...please.

Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stuck inlet valve , loose inlet valve seat are the first things that come to mind.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Added to Berts analysis above - this may be a sheared flywheel "key" - this may allow the fly wheel to move on the crankshaft, which in tern changes the ignition timing, causing backfiring and loss of power and quit possibly wont allow the engine to start/run at all.

boatmoter

Threads
Has about 200 hours on it, 13 years old. Replaced carb (Kohler brand) solenoid, starter & battery.

Has always run good and been very well maintained. A coup;le of weeks ago my father-in-law borrowed it and got off while the engine was still running and caused a couple of backfires. He finished using it and when I went to use it, it fired up well as usual and then began to die quickly and now all I'm getting is a popping sound and gas escaping through the carb and it won't start at all.

Thoughts...please.

Thank you.
I would do a compression test since you have possibly compression coming out of the carb. may have a stuck valve or jumped cam timing