Export thread

Kohler compression release

H

Hoagie12

I have a cub cadet with a 22 hp v twin motor. It has too much compression to item over. I pulled the cam out thinking the compression release mechanism was broken only to find out it does not have a compression release mechanism!? What now?

StarTech

StarTech

Without engine model and spec it is only a guess but it sounds you got an Inertia Drive Starter with worn out bushings. Kohler does not offer replacement parts for the starter, new starter replacement only.

H

Hoagie12

Without engine model and spec it is only a guess but it sounds you got an Inertia Drive Starter with worn out bushings. Kohler does not offer replacement parts for the starter, new starter replacement only.

H

Hoagie12

I just replaced the cam shaft.I plane to reinstall engine tomorrow. If that doesn’t work I’ll give the starter a look and let you know. Thanks a lot!

H

Hoagie12

I just replaced the cam shaft.I plane to reinstall engine tomorrow. If that doesn’t work I’ll give the starter a look and let you know. Thanks a lot!
How does Kohler get away without using a compression release? Model is sv715-3002, sn 4307107123

H

Hoagie12

How does Kohler get away without using a compression release? Model is sv715-3002, sn 4307107123

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

You are going too deep, too quickly. Replacing cams and opening up engine to “check for compression release mechanism” is not the order you need to proceed. If you have a compression tester, perform a compression test. Then charge and load test battery. Then make sure your connections are clean and tight. Then use multimeter to check for possible voltage drop at starter. Then get back with us. Or keep throwing parts at it.

H

hlw49

First thing to do is adjust the valve lash. Too much lash will cause engine to kick back on the starter.

B

bertsmobile1

They use a stronger starter motor and a better carb less prone to leaking when not in use .
Does your car have a decompressor ?

H

Hoagie12

They use a stronger starter motor and a better carb less prone to leaking when not in use .
Does your car have a decompressor ?
No compression release. After reviewing the information available about the starter I have ordered a gen 3 starter.

F

fixit1ddh

I Adjust the valves on my kohler every 200 hour's because of that reason. That's what kohler recommends. My Wife's same model kohler has over 400 hour's and have never had to Adjust. On mine I Adjust the intake to the minimum adjustment. And I'm good for another 200 hours.

H

Hoagie12

I finally found a third generation starter for my sv715 Kohler. It has 9 tooth gear versus the old 10 tooth gear, more torque, higher spin rpm, larger drive shaft. It now can overcome the compression problem. Thanks for everyone’s input.

G

Gord Baker

I have a cub cadet with a 22 hp v twin motor. It has too much compression to item over. I pulled the cam out thinking the compression release mechanism was broken only to find out it does not have a compression release mechanism!? What now?
Set valve lash on both to .006-.008 and try it.

H

Hoagie12

No compression release. After reviewing the information available about the starter I have ordered a gen 3 starter.
The starter fixed it

R

rhkraft

I agree with hlw49, adjust the valves. The compression release can be on the cam. If the valves are too loose, the cam lobe won't open the exhaust valve and the starter will lug down. On Briggs, these valves must have only .003 to .005 clearance. I have repaired these with success.

H

Hoagie12

I agree with hlw49, adjust the valves. The compression release can be on the cam. If the valves are too loose, the cam lobe won't open the exhaust valve and the starter will lug down. On Briggs, these valves must have only .003 to .005 clearance. I have repaired these with success.
There is no compression release on this Engine. That’s why it takes a super strong starter

S

skipb

peapicker

peapicker

I finally found a third generation starter for my sv715 Kohler. It has 9 tooth gear versus the old 10 tooth gear, more torque, higher spin rpm, larger drive shaft. It now can overcome the compression problem. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Do you have a part #? Thanks!

S

skipb

Do you have a part #? Thanks!
Kohler part number is 32 098 10S

H

Hoagie12

Kohler part number is 32 098 10S