Kohler Command Pro Single Cylinder Horizontal Lifter issue

Threads
Hi all,
I have a Cub Cadet rider with the above engine. I removed the rocker arms to address another issue. Now the engine will start but as soon as the lifters pressurize, I lose compression (holding the intake valve open). After the engine sits it'll start but same issue. Rocker stud adjusted to 100 in lbs. I can't adjust the clearance obviously. Do I need to remove the lifters and bleed them down? Can I do this without removing the head? Thanks in advance for the replies.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Depending on the model #, the head will have to come off to remove the lifters. If it will start after letting it sit, the lifter is probably bleeding down. I'd check the oil pressure before I didn't anything else. Again, depending on the model #, Kohler had a rare issue of too much oil pressure which sometimes would pump up lifters.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on the model #, the head will have to come off to remove the lifters. If it will start after letting it sit, the lifter is probably bleeding down. I'd check the oil pressure before I didn't anything else. Again, depending on the model #, Kohler had a rare issue of too much oil pressure which sometimes would pump up lifters.
If I remember correctly there was also an issue if the oil viscosity was too high could also cause over pump of the lifters. I think that had to do something with 30W used in temps below 50 F if I remember correctly. Bringing it up since people tend to use whatever weight oil they love best.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
If I remember correctly there was also an issue if the oil viscosity was too high could also cause over pump of the lifters. I think that had to do something with 30W used in temps below 50 F if I remember correctly. Bringing it up since people tend to use whatever weight oil they love best.
I am working on a similar engine. Kohler single CV15S on a John Deere. Has fuel and spark, and checked compression and only got 39 psi. Even with compression release on camshaft, that is really low. Mower ran for three weeks after customer bought it used and died while mowing. Unable to restart since. What are thoughts on compression reading? Would think 70-100 psi would be acceptable.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am working on a similar engine. Kohler single CV15S on a John Deere. Has fuel and spark, and checked compression and only got 39 psi. Even with compression release on camshaft, that is really low. Mower ran for three weeks after customer bought it used and died while mowing. Unable to restart since. What are thoughts on compression reading? Would think 70-100 psi would be acceptable.
I think your thought would be acceptable. For the most accuracy of engine health would probably need to do a leakdown test. Worked on a generator a few years back that had a 5% bypass on leakdown but only showed 5 psi on compression gauge. Engine had a clogged spark arrester screen.

Threads
VegetiveSteam, it's definitely bleeding down, because as soon as it starts, it pumps up and holds the intake valve open. Is there a way to properly adjust these? In doing research it seems all lifters bleed down as an engine sits. I was thinking about removing the lifters and bench bleeding them, reinstalling them and trying that.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
VegetiveSteam, so you're saying the lifters should not bleed down as it sits? It's only the intake side that is doing this. Thanks for the reply.
The lifters will bleed off while sitting, even more if that is the valve that is open because the extra valve spring pressure tries to close the valve against oil pressure

Threads
So how do I get it to adjust in correctly? There is no lash spec at all. All I can do is tighten it to 100 in lbs. Is the lifter faulty? Should I tighten the rocker with the lifter pressurized or bled off?

Mark H_NO

Threads
I just worked on a Briggs that showed just under 60 on compression gauge. The problem was sheared key, once I fixed that, starts on first pull. YMMV.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
So how do I get it to adjust in correctly? There is no lash spec at all. All I can do is tighten it to 100 in lbs. Is the lifter faulty? Should I tighten the rocker with the lifter pressurized or bled off?
No sorry. I wasn't saying the lifter shouldn't bleed off. They will bleed especially like ILENGINE mentioned if that particular valve stops in the open position once the engine stops spinning and puts pressure on that lifter.

As far as how to adjust the rocker arms, there is no adjustment. You just torque them to the spec. Now, it's best to do that with the lifters bled down, if not as you know, the valve will be held open. At that point, I typically roll the engine over by hand until that particular valve is being pushed wide open and let it sit. Over time, that will normally bleed the lifter.

What I was getting at with my earlier statement was, if the lifter or lifters are bleeding down while it sits, enough to let the engine start, then taking them out and bleeding them will probably make no difference.

If you can, will you post the engine model and spec #?

And again, if you can, check the oil pressure. There was an issue where the pressure relief ball could stick and cause very high oil pressure. Anything under 30 lbs of pressure is fine and I've even seen them pushing 50 lbs with no issues. you start getting over 60 lbs and lifters could start pumping up. And it may not affect both. High oil pressure could possibly only affect one.