Export thread

Kohler command pro 22hp -2 volt reg

G

Gordon R

Kohler 22hp had to replace flywheel and stator. Now have -2.3 volts at the b+ on the regulator at idle and - 10.8 volt at full speed. Replaced regulator with 3 used ones and 2 new ones and get the same. Tested stator per manual and stator is good. I'm at a loss. Never seen this before

tom3

tom3

First thing is to unhook the wires from the stator to the regulator, rev up the motor and check the AC voltage, should be well over 20 volts I think. One thing I've ran into are the magnets on the inside of the flywheel. Was this a new flywheel?

Flywheel magnets:

and much more fun to watch:

M

mechanic mark

scroll down page to CH22 Service Manual

G

Gordon R

As stated I do have the service manual. All stator test in the manual was done and passed ac volt is 22 vac at idle and 43 vac at full throttle. The problem is I have a -2.3 DC at idle and 10.8 DC at full throttle on the B+ terminal of the regulator. Replaced regulator 5 times just to make sure it was not just a bad regulator all 5 have same results

B

bertsmobile1

Are you using the correct regulators ?
Did you make sure the regulator is grounded through the case ?
Kohler mount them in the plastic blower housing so you need a ground strap on one ( or both ) of the mounting bolts.

I

ILENGINE

That B+ numbers at the regulator don't make sense unless you are not getting battery voltage at the B+ terminal from the battery. Without at least 10 volts at the terminal the regulator won't turn on. Try running a wire directly from B+ to the positive post of the battery and see what you get.