Kohler Command CV15S-41562; Voltage regulator and ground wire made contact and something blew

pseudogiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler Command CV15S-41562; Voltage regulator and ground wire made contact and something blew
I made the mistake of forgetting the disconnect the battery when I went to remove the voltage regulator from the shroud and in the process I let the voltage regulator touch the ground lug and as a result something blew.

20200727_184309.jpg
(Circled in red is where the smoke came from, or at least in this general area)

20200727_184304.jpg
(I put the voltage regulator back onto the shroud after blowing something but you can see circled in red where that ground lug touched the voltage regulator post labeled A, which runs under the shroud and to the flywheel)

Any ideas on what might have blown. All I know is I have no power at the voltage regulator (test light) and the starter is no longer functioning. I also tested the headlights as I knew those were previously working and also no power with test light. Did i just blow the entire tractors electrical system by making this dumb mistake or is there a fuse or something I need to scout for. Keep in mind there was a spark I believe but defintly a good amount of smoke pouring out of the area I circled in red in the first picture.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Kohler Command CV15S-41562; Voltage regulator and ground wire made contact and something blew
Looks like the smoke came from the starter solenoid which sends power to the starter when the key is turned to "start".

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
has anybody checked to see if the fuse blew from the resulting short.

pseudogiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
my neighbor and I had a look and he found a wire that was blown coming from the solenoid. will butt splice and see what hppens. i'll let yall know if it was the culprit

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What about giving hte modle of that John Deere mower as that was probably a fuse link.

pseudogiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
yea the butt splice didn't solve the problem. it's a john deere LT155 (1999)

pseudogiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
so this is the wire that was blown (circled splice in red), it was connected to the starter solenoid by lug next to the lug for the positive from battery. my neighbor is electrician and he butt spliced a new wire onto with new lug as the previous was very short and was too hard to do. but yea we don't know where the fuse would be as we looked so i'm going to attempt to find the schematics or a youtube video or something. we have power at the solenoid though and power at voltage regulators but oddly no power to headlights and in general the starter wont crank at all when turning the key....

splice.jpg

pseudogiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
i need to correct somethiing, there isn't power at the voltage regulator like there use to be, but if you attach tester to positive and touch the voltage regulator connects with the key turned there is power going there.

i feel like i looked everywhere on the tractor and i can't find any fuses... would a john deere lt155 (1999) not have any fuses??

if this diagram is right is there fuses here?

lovely-wiring-diagram-john-deere-lt155-wiring-diagram-and-also-within-wiring-schematic-john-de...jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Diagram shows a fusible link not a true fuse The link would need to be removed and replaced with a true fuse holder and fuse.

pseudogiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
fuseable link.jpg

so it was the gray section of that fusible link where we had the blown wire and we spliced the blue wire onto that and connected the lug to the starter solenoid. so if the fusible link blows you can't just slice another wire onto it as we did, or are you just saying for future its best to put a fuse to avoid this situation from happening again? just asking because repairing the wire didn't solve the starter not working and that theres no power going to voltage regulator like there had been before. i guess maybe the repair was botched

or in the pictures circled in red, does that need to be elieminated and replaced where the two red wires connect, id assume that is the fusible link and that is the wire that blew. so connect the two red wires to a true fuse holder, install fuse and connect our spliced side to that?

im sorry i am a true noob at this lol but enjoying trying to learn from this messy situation i created. thanks