Kohler 8hp k181 no spark

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post your spec number, then we will know what you have. We’re not question your knowledge, just want to be sure when we continue to try to help.

Rltkktlr

Threads
Thanks. And I should have posted that right away. By the way even though the ohms maybe unreliable I would still like to mess around and compare the old and new parts. Thanks for the repair manual, but it doesn’t seem to have electrical specs, say for coil and condenser? I really thought it would. Anyway spec no. 30467. Model K181T

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Kohler part number is A-235741-S, but is NLA. It has been superseded to part number 4775520, but run almost $200.00. Before purchasing a new stator (coil) I would measure the resistance on both the primary and secondary windings of your exi coil. To test the primary winding, disconnect the small wire coming from the coil to the points. Measure resistance through this wire to ground. Good winding will have a resistance of between.5-1.5 Ohms. To test secondary winding, measure resistance between spark plug terminal to ground. Good winding will have a resistance of 2.5K-5K Ohms.

Rltkktlr

Threads
Well I had already replaced coil with an aftermarket coil. Primary winding 15 ohms(that’s an auto setting on my ohm meter) secondary is 9.8 ohms. I ordered a condenser hoping that’s the problem. My sherry meter can’t get it too move off 1 in either 200 or 2k or 20k. Actually I was expecting range to be like in the thousands so 20k setting. But sperry not showing anything

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me those readings would indicate primary winding good, but secondary winding bad.

Rltkktlr

Threads
I agree according to your numbers. Any idea why Sperry meter would only show 1(which I assume is the same as OL on other meters) at any settings? I really want to see a reading from a non automatic setting. Anyway I ordered a condenser will let you know if that produces spark. Appreciate the help. I always learned don't replace 2 parts at the same time cause then you never knew what worked. But should have ordered the condenser, because then Murphy’s law would have helped me out!!!

Rltkktlr

Threads
Oh wait. Primary was 15ohms your spec was .5 to 1.5 ohms

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I made a mistake also, primary should be between 10-17 Ohms. I used reading for automotive coil. Secondary is the same. Don’t understand either why your meter would read 1 on all ranges???

Rltkktlr

Threads
Thanks. Will report back when I get new condenser( right from China I am sure so maybe coil will like that! Oh ya know what I don’t have coil in for those ohm readings,

Rltkktlr

Threads
Ok. Little set back, well sort of. While I was ohming the primary winding I noticed it was intermittent. (I had had too solder the original wire that goes too condenser and points on because aftermarket coil had a very short primary wire) so I thought my solder was bad. As it turned out the new coil wires came more from bottom of coil then the OEM coil, this caused the wire to get caught between coil and motor and damaged it, hence no spark. I repaired it and it fired right up. Side note I am pretty sure the secondary reading was 9800 ohms, my old one was some crazy number like 37000 ohms! Thanks again for all the help. Bye the way I will probably make another post as I had an original problem before I lost spark.