Kohler 7000 smart choke issue.

andre34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks.

I found a way, I removed the smart choke unit, and install a manual choke cable, runs like charm.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Thanks.

I found a way, I removed the smart choke unit, and install a manual choke cable, runs like charm.
Kohler must agree with you because they have a kit to do just that.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I have been chasing that same problem for 3 season now, on a Gravely ZT/HD 48, Kohler engine/Smart Choke. Still does the same. Went like 12/13 times between 3 different dealers, still haven't found the problem(s). when I bought it, went good for 2/3 months, then it started to act weird, choking itself, no power, black smoke, and so on. They have changed choke system, oil pressure switch, took the motor apart, the carb apart, changed linkage, rods, u name it, still does the same. I will try some of the ideas I just red here, who knows, might fix the problem.
It's a shame that your dealers didn't have a good Kohler distributor or maybe didn't even contact them. Kohler came out with a kit to do away with the smart choke under warranty for those with repeat failures that for whatever reason couldn't be fixed. The cost to you would have been a choke cable and the labor to install that cable but the kit would have been no charge. I may be remembering this incorrectly but I believe that kit came with a new carb too but don't hold me to that.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
With the "Smart" choke system on the Kohler 7000 one important item in the system is the thermostat. What happens is the "Air vane" will partially open the choke once it gets started (due to the wind created by the flywheel). The thermostat will then fully open, and hold, the choke open once it warms up.

An easy way to check it is to:
A) Disconnect the thermostat and check the resistance (should be around 15 ohms). If that's good reconnect and go to B).
B) Take off the air filter and engine shroud. Start the engine and observe what the choke does. If the choke appears to flutter (open and close) then the thermostat is worn out or faulty. What's happening is the thermostat isn't holding the choke open solidly.

When I tested mine a few months ago the Ohms on the thermostat read about 4-5 ohms and when I would run it the choke would just flutter causing too rich (black smoke) and surging. Once I replaced the thermostat the choke plate stopped fluttering and would stay open rock solid with zero fluttering. I think the spring in the thermostat was worn out and not strong enough to hold the choke plate open.

Just throwing that out there for other folks that mentioned they're having the same or similar problem as OP. I personally hate the smart choke. I own 3 vintage motorcycles and really, how hard is it to open a choke lever to start the machine? Just Kohler trying to add one more bullet item of features (my theory at least). Having said that, my CC XT2 is 6 years old and this was the first time I had an issue with the smart choke so I guess it's pretty reliable (until it's not, ha!). Good luck.
Even Kohler wasn't thrilled with the technology but pressure from the mower manufacturers forced the issue. These engines are primarily on home owner mowers and the mower manufacturers want to offer home owners a mower you just get on and turn the key. For the most part it's worked pretty well. Several thousand faulty oil pressure switches in the early days didn't help matters any.