Kohler 18HP SV540-0019 engine hunting. Carb or Gov?

Brickman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Working on a friends Troybilt Bronco that has been sitting for at least 4 years. The wiring harness burned up and getting a new one.

I have everything working like new except for the engine hunting. It has new head gasket, carb gaskets, bowl gaskets, float floats :), fuel inlet needle is new, new oil, new fuel line with shut off valve and filter, fresh gas, new spark plug correctly gaped, valves correctly gapped. Cleaned the carb as best as I could. (gumout, seafoam, isopropyl alcohol)
Took the solenoid plunger off so fuel can get into carb.

A new carb is pretty expensive, but I want to make sure it is the carburetor that is bad before spending money and it might be the governor. Which I took off the throttle plate to clean and grease it. The governor spring isn't stretched or any damage. I can move the governor with no effort when engine is off.

Took a video of it running. It has no problems from going from wide open throttle to idle, took it for a drive and engine is very strong. Just that the RPMs are fluctuating. Also can see gas spitting out of the carb. Which I know that isn't normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHPSip1L50w&feature=youtu.be

Hope you can help me and the engine out :)

Brickman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also have gas dripping from the bottom of the solenoid, so might as well buy a new carb. :/

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes replace the carb.

Brickman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The heat shield next to the intake was cracked just enough to make the engine hunt. Bought a new one and new the engine runs smooth :D
Solenoid still leaks gas, so it will have a new carb soon.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice to know you fixed it..:thumbsup: