Kohler 18 runs perfect but won't start

blr3a

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have worked on many small engines before. This one has me stumped. It is a 2008 Troy-Bilt with an 18 horse Kohler. It will not start by itself. Spray a tiny amount of starting fluid near the carb, POOF it runs perfect. I mean perfect, throttles up and down mows all day long. It will start right back up if you turn it off. If I let it sit over night, It will NOT fire up by itself. Needs a shot of starter fluid. Could it be the float in the carb is not sitting level? I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and there are no clogs. I also put a new "fuel shutoff solenoid" or w/e its called on it. Didn't help.

Please help if you have any tips.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try holding you hand over the air horn the next time you start your engine. If this works, you have one of two problems. Either your choke is not closing properly or your float is not set correctly. Too low.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would lean more toward the choke plate not closing all the way. The choke can be adjusted if not closing all the way. Either by lengthening the Z bend in the linkage of by adjusting the choke adjustment screw.

blr3a

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tryed to start it with the breather off of the engine and choking it with my hand, it doesn't even try. It just turns and turns and turns, doesn't hit a lick. It doesn't sputter or smoke or anything. I have tryed turning it over with the key while adjusting my hand over the carb in every manner imaginable. It just won't fire. But, with the choke on or off and with the throttle set in ANY position, a tiny shot of starting fluid and she fires right up. No smoke, no sputter, no lag.... just starts and runs perfect. You think it could possibly be the float out of level? I just eye balled it in, but it seems strange it runs so well. It must be pulling adequate fuel but for some reason not until it is running...

blr3a

Forum Newbie
Threads
anyone with a suggestion?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would look at the float level. Try setting it lower (with the carb upside down) which will give you a richer mixture.

Lawnmowerman2

Threads
sounds like the armature-magneto is gone, replace it and it will fire

blr3a

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip... I will start with the float. I believe it is a fuel problem and a richer mix may help it fire. It is obviously close, as long as there is a little fuel left in the carb it starts up fine (after being shut off). But, let it sit a few hours and it won't hit a lick!

briggs

Threads
Thanks for the tip... I will start with the float. I believe it is a fuel problem and a richer mix may help it fire. It is obviously close, as long as there is a little fuel left in the carb it starts up fine (after being shut off). But, let it sit a few hours and it won't hit a lick!

try spying straight gas in the throat of the carb and see if it fires if it doses u know its a fuel prob then ...Dose it have a fuel pump on it

twinfords

Threads
fuel delivery issue, fuel filter dirty, pick up dirty, line dirty