Kohler 15.5hp Gas in oil.

greggn

Threads
This is very true but unfortunately non-ethanol fuel is not available in most cities. Where do you find non-ethanol fuel?

Here in Canada most premium/hi test/super blends are non methanol.:thumbsup:

possum

Threads
Pure Gas shows 91 gas stations with ethanol free in Texas.

IdahoPuma

Forum Newbie
Threads
EASY PATCH ( do not let people complicate it )
When off , some gasoline is seeping through carb into cylinder pass the rings into the case . Get enough gas in the oil , it gets sucked up in the crankcase vent going back to the carb thus bogging the motor .
1. Install a cheap plastic shut-off valve in the fuel line before the carb
2. Change the oil
3. Shut off fuel everytime mower is not being operated
It is a common issue with gravity fed fuel systems to the point many newer models have fuel shut-off valves standard
( PS , it also means remember to turn on before running as I brain fartedly forgot )

Hi,Everyone first time poster. I have a Craftsman with a Kohler 15.5 Model # cv15s. Last year at the end of the mowing season i noticed when i choked the mower i was getting gas out of the muffler and a little smoke which cleared up quickly after starting. This year before the mowing season changing the oil it had alot of gas mixed with the oil. It has a Walbro carb So i took the bowl off and cleaned and took float and needle valve out and also cleaned. (noticed the needle had a red rubbery tip.) So i went to local repair shop to get a carb repair kit Craftsman 12-757-03s .The guy at the repair shop told me that leaving gas in the carb year round with todays ethanol gas probably damaged the carb and it would need a new one plus it would need the head gasket changed due to the gas getting in with the oil or it would blow in the future. Question is does it need a new carb and head gasket? Any help would be appreciated.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
EASY PATCH ( do not let people complicate it )
When off , some gasoline is seeping through carb into cylinder pass the rings into the case . Get enough gas in the oil , it gets sucked up in the crankcase vent going back to the carb thus bogging the motor .
1. Install a cheap plastic shut-off valve in the fuel line before the carb
2. Change the oil
3. Shut off fuel everytime mower is not being operated
It is a common issue with gravity fed fuel systems to the point many newer models have fuel shut-off valves standard
( PS , it also means remember to turn on before running as I brain fartedly forgot )

While it works its only a band aid fix... Carb should stop fuel give her a good cleaning and make sure its operating correctly then an in line shut off is not a bad idea

IdahoPuma

Forum Newbie
Threads
While it works its only a band aid fix... Carb should stop fuel give her a good cleaning and make sure its operating correctly then an in line shut off is not a bad idea

True , but I never referred to it as a fix either . Meant only as a patch without having to get into anything major which I felt was better to work on going into winter then coming into spring .

I actually had the exact same issue on my 15.5 Craftsman 4 years ago . It was meant as merely a patch going into spring . Of course , I still have not gotten around to repairing it and all the newer items I have purchased with gas motors have their own inline fuel shut-offs

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I put a inline valve on everything.

When a mower is on a trailer bouncing around the float goes up and down letting gas in to the engine.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put a inline valve on everything.

When a mower is on a trailer bouncing around the float goes up and down letting gas in to the engine.

No kidding :) my trailer bounces on the smallest bump its ridiculous...