Koehler Courage starter motor - remove hog ring.

Trout bum

Threads
I need to rebuild the bendix unit on my Kohler Courage lawn tractor motor. The motor is a Johnson Electric part number 2009805 08005. I have the repair kit and my question is how to remove the hog ring holding everything in place. Thanks in advance. Jack

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, they are a pain in the %#&6/; to remove. I use a large side cutters to get under one end and pry them off. WATCH YOUR FINGERS. It takes practice and patience, plus about half dozen tries.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yes, they are a pain in the %#&6/; to remove. I use a large side cutters to get under one end and pry them off. WATCH YOUR FINGERS. It takes practice and patience, plus about half dozen tries.
Put a towel or something over the ring when removing, because it might go flying off, never to be found again. Ask me how I know.

OldDiyer

Threads
If you can find an old school auto machanic they may still have the puller for those rings. I had the puller because back than we rebuilt starters and replaced many of the drive gears. The puller served as the remover and the installer all in one.

Trout bum

Threads
Put a towel or something over the ring when removing, because it might go flying off, never to be found again. Ask me how I know.
Thanks for the reply. But I still can not figure out how to get a very small tool(s) between the shaft and the top “collar” to remove the clip. There is only about 1/8” gap between the two parts. I originally thought the top collar slid down the shaft to expose the clip, but that is not the case.I am going to try a very small needle nose pliers next. Jack

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Usually you have to drive the collar down with a socket of the correct size as the ring locks the collar in place.

Trout bum

Threads
Usually you have to drive the collar down with a socket of the correct size as the ring locks the collar in place.
Thank you. The simplest solution to an impossible problem. Now to find the parts on the floor. Thanks Jack

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you tried to remove it by rolling it off with a side cutter? It works just takes time.