Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

filmteknik

Forum Newbie
Seriously, I'm asking not telling.

I bought a Toro 20334 recently and I'm clearing a few issues. One of which was Personal Pace was driving the right (rear) but not left.

Took the left wheel off to find a totally stripped gear. I replaced it. But after barely a half hour of use it is starting to strip. That's the new gear in the photo where it's on the drive shaft. What is going on? I've put the wheel back on without the cover so I could see and they seem to be properly meshed. Why this side and not the other which seems fine?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7373.jpeg
    IMG_7373.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7372.jpeg
    IMG_7372.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
As said it is probably gear meshing is incorrect. Check all bushings and sleeves on the drive axle and the bushing and retaining bolt for the wheel for wear. The teeth of the gears are trying to mesh on top of each tooth point.

If this was a vehicle rear differential it would be whining like crazy.

5,7,19,20 are the areas pf concern along the themselves. Also check the bearings item 6 on each side.
61791547148333.png
 
There are 2 different wheels that look identical but the metal gears are not the same. Seen this problem when cust got new wheels off amazon and the gears barely mesh. Not the correct wheels but "looked" right New OEM wheels and drive gears fixed it.
 
You need to replace both the gear and wheel. I’ve seen this many times and being over 10 years old I suspect wear was caused by lack of maintenance, dirt buildup. Wheel bolt should also be checked, they wear also.
 
Back
Top