Export thread

Knocked Axle Out

S

Skeeter1a

I picked up an older Craftsman II 12.hp 38-inch mower model #917.255572.
Long story short I knocked the left axle out of the gearbox :ashamed:.
It destroyed the retaining ring (Part #3656) on the shaft rendering it useless and they are no longer available from Sears.
I used some JB weld to hold on the 15-tooth miter gear to the shaft.
It worked temporarily but the shaft has come loose again.

I now am thinking of …

1. Putting JB weld all over the shafts splines and not just the end. (not crazy ‘bout this idea).
2. Using a split collar clamp where the retaining ring went, if it will fit and clear the spider gears.
3. Drilling a hole in the shaft and installing a cotter pin in place of the retaining ring to hold the miter gear.

Thoughts? And… is the retaining ring (Part #3656) available anyplace else?

Thank you.

S

SidecarFlip

Take it to a machine shop and have them machine a new groove and affix a new retaining ring which is either an internal or external circlip.

S

Skeeter1a

Thank you for your reply.

It would be an external clip. I'm guessing that would be strong enough, no?

B

bertsmobile1

It will be fine.
The trick is to machine the groove deep enough and put a washer between the clip & the case.
Most mower wheels are held on with nothing more than an E clip.

S

SidecarFlip

So long as you didn't bugger the machined in grove in the axle, a new snap ring should work fine. If you did, the parted groove in the axle will need cleaned up in a lathe with a parting tool.

simple job I can do in my shop in about 3 minutes.,

S

Skeeter1a

I split the case and took the axle out. The groove on the end appears to be in good shape.

I put on a 5/8 external retaining ring. I think it's a little small. An 11/16 ring is tough to find. I checked tractor supply, Home Depot and my local hardware store. I think I'll order one and wait to see how it fits.

Gear.jpg

S

SidecarFlip

I think you'd do better at NAPA or an auto parts store. I know my local ACE hardware has them.

S

SidecarFlip

McMaster-Carr and Fastenal sell box quantities only for the most part. I have commercial accounts with both. Not sure about your third source.

B

bertsmobile1

And don't forget to find & remove the remains of the old clip.
It is in there somewhere and can do unbelievable damage if it gets caught between the teeth of any gear set.

Boobala

Boobala

McMaster-Carr and Fastenal sell box quantities only for the most part. I have commercial accounts with both. Not sure about your third source.

I, on the other hand have not found it hard to order just a few items from Fastenal, recently bought just 2 small metric bolts and several washers & nuts , I always call to verify a small Qty. they seem to bend over backwards to help folks ........

S

Skeeter1a

Finally found an 11/16 external retaining ring at a somewhat local supply place.

Looks much better than the 5/8.

Hopefully get everything back together tonight.

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

Gear II.jpg