Kit for a FS 55 R

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
@ Stens, I found the gasket set. But not the entire set with needle & screen.

This one I'm working on, Seems to flood out when I pull the trigger. Opening or closing the H, (nor the L) work. So I took it apart and found the gaskets on the wrong side of the diaphragms and the meter too high and no screen at all. Got that sorted out. Plus a new gromit and fuel lines, cleaned the filter pressure checked it and it was good. Next thing I know, it's not priming. Maybe once every 50 primes, it'll suck some gas up into the primer.
Is that a sign a check valve is bad?

UPDATE: It'll prime when it's on it's side. But ONLY when it's on it's side.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Double check you fuel lines.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also I had several Zama primer bases on Stihl this to be bad.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just buy a new carb at the Stihl dealer.

4140 120 0607 CARBURETOR C1Q-S79 (MM55) $40.49

4140 120 0610 CARBURETOR $34.50

4140 120 0619 Carburetor C1Q-S186 $34.50

4140 120 0621 Carburetor C1Q S216 $34.50

4140 120 0625 Carburetor C1Q-291A $34.50

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes that what Stihl wants us to do now especially since they barred Zama from selling the carburetor kits that fit only Stihl products via the Zama. For us that deal with a lot Stihl units several of the other kits are available through aftermarket vendors but they take time to get so we need to stock them. I usually rebuild in packs anyways so it is not a problem to do especially since those kit are less than $2 apiece.

Stihl also made getting Zama carburetor parts nearly impossible to get even from the dealers. One dealer here don't stock them and wants to hit me with a $20 shipping charge everytime they order one even on one of their restocking orders. This is especially frustrating when I know what is wrong with the carburetors. Zama is even purging some of the carburetor info from their website now too.

I did find a dealer that is reasonable as he will order on his stock orders for me and don't charge the shipping fees.

Now that Stihl has gotten Zama to set those to propriety status Stihl just charges whatever high price they want and force us to us the local dealers. Customers are balking at the repairs costs now and just replacing their equipment with other brands as they fail. With no sales Stihl will start to hurt as they stab themselves in the back.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I work on a lot of stihl stuff as the 2 local stihl dealers are $98/hr labor rate. 9 times out of 10 the problem is fuel system related. Since i get no discount from the dealers i have to buy retail with a $20 order fee for anything not in stock. I have gotten pretty good at not needing full carb kits and finding aftermarket gaskets and diaphragms. Folks don't want to pay $200 for the dealer to replace carb and fuel lines so lucky for me. Stihl is trying to stick it to third party service on stihl equipment. We will see how that works out with more and more asian carbs coming out. Honda and Kohler priced oem carbs too high and now aftermarket carbs are the norm and they work pretty well. Get a turd every now and then. I have replaced dozens of Honda carbs with aftermarket ones.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I work on a lot of stihl stuff as the 2 local stihl dealers are $98/hr labor rate. 9 times out of 10 the problem is fuel system related. Since i get no discount from the dealers i have to buy retail with a $20 order fee for anything not in stock. I have gotten pretty good at not needing full carb kits and finding aftermarket gaskets and diaphragms. Folks don't want to pay $200 for the dealer to replace carb and fuel lines so lucky for me. Stihl is trying to stick it to third party service on stihl equipment. We will see how that works out with more and more asian carbs coming out. Honda and Kohler priced oem carbs too high and now aftermarket carbs are the norm and they work pretty well. Get a turd every now and then. I have replaced dozens of Honda carbs with aftermarket ones.

In the last few weeks, I've found myself doing the cheapo Amazon carb thing. I hate myself for doing it. Because I know the quality of those carbs are low. But since I'm not a dealer and Stens don't have a lot of the carbs I've been needing (or complete kits), it's left me very little choice. The ONLY dealer in town it way too high. Which is why I'm starting to get a lot of stihl equipment to repair.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most Stihl dealer will not give a discount and one here is way over the Stihl list prices. Tri-Green did but they cray-fished on the deal so switch to another dealer for the parts and I also change where I was getting my JD parts from as they cray-fished on the 10% business to business discount their parts manager agreed to. Most the parts had to ordered anyway so for the JD part I get them from IN now where I still get a 10-15%.

You could have a dealer with techs that can't even find a bad spark plug. I had a customer that has HS56 hedgers with one that was still under warranty. The hedger was racing well the design limits so I carry it into the dealer for repairs. They return it with the spark plug disconnected and said nothing was wrong. I tested before the same problem was still with it after I reconnected the spark plug. So I put it on my bench for tests. Connected a tach and found I had no spark when it was racing. Basically it was dieseling due a bad spark and the coil's limiter was trying to shut it down but couldn't.

Yet another dealer was selling new drive shafts every few months for the FS90 blaming the problem on the use of no trimmer head deflector. It was instead that the clutch had worn out. Kinda hard for a square shaft to lock in a round hole.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 2 JD/Stihl dealers within 8 miles of me. Neither will give me any discount. I am tax free at one of them but i get the privilege of paying full retail. They will let me save shipping cost on JD parts if i will wait on their weekly order. I can't get Zama carb kits now. Just carbs plus stihl seems to be ending parts support on not so older saws and stuff and the parts you can get they are mighty proud of. One dealer has a young mechanic that has shall we say a less than stellar skillset but he doesn't realize it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With Zama being a subsidiary of the Stihl Group explains why you can't any Zama kits that fits only Stihl machines. The older Zama carbs that Stihl there is a good aftermarket source for those kits out of Hong Kong.

Now it seems that Stihl is only interested in selling new equipment and to heck with the older machines. At one time they cared. Well anyway the customers are leaving them because of their attitude.