Kawasaki Riding lawn mower engine model FH661V-AS05

shadowcat

Threads
How often should you adjust the valves on this engine? The engine is 8years old and valves have never been done.
If the valves should be adjusted ,could someone help with a step by step procedure on how it is done and what do I need in way of gaskets Etc.
Thank you
shadowcat

Arwing64

Threads
There really isn't a specified time to adjust the valves, but I adjust the valves once every couple years. The only time when you would really need to adjust the valves would be when you experience performance problems, such as if you feel as if the engine is underpowered or is the engine has less compression. Adjusting them once in a while will improve the overall performance of the engine.

Since your engine is 8 years old, I think it may be time to at least check the seating of the valves. Make sure you have the engine valve seating specifications to maximize your power output, fuel efficiency, and the overall performance for your engine. The same principles apply for any engine, whether it's a Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda, or Briggs and Stratton.

shadowcat

Threads
How often should you adjust the valves on this engine? The engine is 8years old and valves have never been done.
If the valves should be adjusted ,could someone help with a step by step procedure on how it is done and what do I need in way of gaskets Etc.
Thank you
shadowcat

Thank You Arwing64 for the reply . I really would like a step by step of instructions on adjusting the rocker arms ,values etc.
I watched a few do it on u-tube but they were differant motor's . I would just like to check clearance to see if all is ok
and if it is out of adjustment I would like to be able to adjust them correctly. Please Advise me on this
Thanks--Shadowcat

Arwing64

Threads
For an OHV engine, the valves are under a cover on each of the heads. The rocker arms rest on top of the pushrods. You need to figure out which valve is for exhaust and which one is for the intake. Usually the bottom valve is the exaust and the top one is the intake. In order to adjust the valves, you need a valve gauge. This tool is what you will use to measure the clearance between the valves and the rocker arm. In a Kawasaki, the intake can be between .004"-.007" while the exhaust can be between .004"-.007". This will vary upon engine to engine. Check your owners manual for details.

First, remove the spark plugs. Then take the OHV cover off. Make sure you have an oil pan ready because some oil is also in there. The engine should then be spun by hand until you reach top dead center. On some engines, this is when the compression release occurs. Now you should spin it and stop when the piston is at top dead center (at the top). The valves are now loose. It is time to measure the clearances between the rocker arm and the tip of the valve.
Using the valve gauge tool, start at the largest size and work your way down until one of them fits. If the size is in between .004" and .007", it is ok. To adjust them, you need to take an allen wrench and a box wrench and loosen the bolt to the left of the rocker arms. There should be two sticking out. Loosen the bolt first with the box wrench and start adjusting to the right clearance size by turning the allen socket.

After both valves have been adjusted, wipe down the seals on the OHV plate and on the engine before reassembling it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cat, If you a new to adjusting valves and checking clearances...To obtain the desired clearance be sure to check the clearance after tightening the adjusting nut. It is very easy to close down the desired clearance when tightening. Also a word about inserting feeler gauges. As noted above move from thickness to thickness until slight resistance is felt in inserting the blade into the clearance area. Do not force a feeler blade as this can actually open the valve slightly. Although many use the "trap" technique where the blade is left inserted during tightening, I do not have luck with it as it is possible to cause the screw to dig into the feeler guage an so reduce the desired clearance. Practice and patience.:smile: