Export thread

Kawasaki FX730V

J

JB2

Where is the low speed jet adjustment screw on a Kawasaki 15004-1011 carburetor?

T

txmowman

There is no low speed adjustment. You can adjust the carbureted low idle. And the governed low idle. EPA does not allow adjustable jets.

StarTech

StarTech

There is no low speed adjustment. You can adjust the carbureted low idle. And the governed low idle. EPA does not allow adjustable jets.
BS, There are two low speed idle mixture screws under two small welch plugs. Now welch plugs are expensive @ about $7 retail. ANd you have to destroy them to access the screws. Most times they never need to be touched.

See items 16187 (16187-7005) and 92066A (92066-7009)

1718975097248.png

T

txmowman

If BS is what I think it is, how professional. These screws are idle port mixture screws, both flow fuel at both low and high idle. They are covered by a welch plug for a reason as they are set by the carburetor manufacturer and are not intended for "tuning". The only low speed adjustment is for idle rpm.

StarTech

StarTech

1718983849110.png
You simply tune for best speed at idle and then set idle speed via the idle speed screw. And these do get out of adjustment at times due equipment age. And I have seen them broken off by DIYers or completely missing where the welch had fallen out and equipment vibrated the screws out.

It like they don't want you installing bushings in the carbs but I do it anyway.

J

JB2

Problem with engine surging at low speed that can be stopped by partially choking the engine was the reason I am looking for the idle jet screw.

T

txmowman

There is no adjustment for that. Either there is a welch plug missing, as referenced in the above picture as 92066 or there is junk in the fuel system or a slight air leak somewhere.

J

JB2

Appreciate the information. Welch plugs are good and air leaks have been checked. Is the next option to rebuild it?

StarTech

StarTech

There is no adjustment for that. Either there is a welch plug missing, as referenced in the above picture as 92066 or there is junk in the fuel system or a slight air leak somewhere.
Next you be telling me resizing jets does nothing and all those micro bits that I have are not real.

Now of course air could seeping past the throttle shaft leaning out the fuel mixture.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

get some WD40 and saturate the area around your throttle shaft and where the carb meets the intake, while the engine is running. If you have a change in engine speed or how the engine runs, you've found an air leak. I've had 3 carbs this year with worn out throttle shafts causing surging.

T

txmowman

Next you be telling me resizing jets does nothing and all those micro bits that I have are not real.

Now of course air could seeping past the throttle shaft leaning out the fuel mixture.
@StarTech you are stuck in the 1970’s. Drilling out jets is to compensate for you not knowing how to properly diagnose and repair the issue.

StarTech

StarTech

@StarTech you are stuck in the 1970’s. Drilling out jets is to compensate for you not knowing how to properly diagnose and repair the issue.
No I am not as a lot of the aftermarket carburetors has to be properly calibrated. I recently had open up the idle jet on a Nikki single barrel clone due to off load lean burn surging. The idle mixture screw was completely inoperative until I did. Also several Walbro carburetors that uses fuel bowl bolt jets has to be resize at times for the same lean burn surging. Sometimes that is just to remove the oxidation layer of the brass. Beside lean burn is cause by the EPA requirements that actually causing more pollution. Sometimes all it takes is a hundredth of a millimeter.

Stop listening all misinformation out there. There are times that things simply has to re-engineered to correct a manufacturing flaw. Why do you we get service bulletins on mods? Some of them are actually come from mechanics like myself report a problem and our solution for it.

I also save a lot of the OEM carbs too by install bushings on throttle and choke shafts when they wear out the carburetor through holes. Lately I have been using schedule 80 1/8 NPT brass pipe to make my bushings.

Or times when the choke butterfly vane has to be modified due to correct an under choking or over choking problem.

And I suppose you would tell me there is no way around the safety control module on the JD Z830, Z925, and Z950 but I done up to a triple bypass on them and still have all the safeties intact. I current have two Z830 and one each of the Z925 and Z950 in field right now that bypasses have been done on. I was told it was impossible but I know better.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

No I am not as a lot of the aftermarket carburetors has to be properly calibrated. I recently had open up the idle jet on a Nikki single barrel clone due to off load lean burn surging. The idle mixture screw was completely inoperative until I did. Also several Walbro carburetors that uses fuel bowl bolt jets has to be resize at times for the same lean burn surging. Sometimes that is just to remove the oxidation layer of the brass. Beside lean burn is cause by the EPA requirements that actually causing more pollution. Sometimes all it takes is a hundredth of a millimeter.

Stop listening all misinformation out there. There are times that things simply has to re-engineered to correct a manufacturing flaw. Why do you we get service bulletins on mods? Some of them are actually come from mechanics like myself report a problem and our solution for it.

I also save a lot of the OEM carbs too by install bushings on throttle and choke shafts when they wear out the carburetor through holes. Lately I have been using schedule 80 1/8 NPT brass pipe to make my bushings.

Or times when the choke butterfly vane has to be modified due to correct an under choking or over choking problem.

And I suppose you would tell me there is no way around the safety control module on the JD Z830, Z925, and Z950 but I done up to a triple bypass on them and still have all the safeties intact. I current have two Z830 and one each of the Z925 and Z950 in field right now that bypasses have been done on. I was told it was impossible but I know better.
With an open mind, we can all learn from others. Slight modifications on parts, such as carburetor jets, is sometimes what makes the difference. Learned something new about the Nikki carburetor in this thread for example.

B

bertsmobile1

BS, There are two low speed idle mixture screws under two small welch plugs. Now welch plugs are expensive @ about $7 retail. ANd you have to destroy them to access the screws. Most times they never need to be touched.

See items 16187 (16187-7005) and 92066A (92066-7009)

View attachment 69004
I will have a look back through my records and see if I kept proper notes
I have also adjusted those idle screws and the welch plug was replaced from a cube carb rebuild kit from memory