Kawasaki fsv481v

Franj00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need some help.

My walk behind mower can turn on, it moves but when I engaged the blades, I get a loud screech and a a strong smell, almost like burning rubber. The first time I tried it I got some smoke as well.

I check the belt, it looks fine. My blades are tight (should I be able to move them with my hand when off?)

What could cause this? The pulley by the front center blade pulley can freely move.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like belt slippage and or bearing semi-locking up on a spindle.

Post up a video on youtube so we can see and hear what it is doing.

Franj00

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the past, when changing the blades I could move the blade by hand but now I tried doing that and didn't move.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the past, when changing the blades I could move the blade by hand but now I tried doing that and didn't move.
Blades should move. Remove the blade belt. Try moving the blades. If the blades are frozen, time for spindle replacement. Do you ever grease the spindles?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Add to what Slomo has just posted the belt will need to be replaced as well.
Once it has burned it is dead as the burned section can not grip the pulleys.

Franj00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its a bobcat walk behind mower.

top deck of my mower looks like this (Google image, not actual mower)...the only difference is the little black curved piece attached to the silver pulley is on the other side.

The belt looks like it is still fine, but I will have it looked at by someone I know who knows this stuff.

Not too familiar with this mower, was a family passed down mower...where can I find the little piece to grease the spindles?

Attachments

• Bobcat 1.jpg
    Bobcat 1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Joed756

Threads
The spindles have zerk fittings which you grease them through, or you can buy and install your own zerk fittings. I have noticed a problem with spindle greasing that I believe is very widespread. There is a bearing at each end of the spindle housing, very often those bearings are sealed so you can grease and grease but the bearing won't be getting any. If you remove the sealed bearings and pop the seal plate out of one side (the inward side) and reinstall, your grease will actually get into the bearing.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes U R right in one instance if you take the seal out of the top bearing the grease will fall out of it if it gets low. The reason they put seal in spindles with sealed bearings to to keep the moisture out. This will help the bearings last longer. We have Dixie Choppers that have seal bearings and still running since the 90's as long as they keep them greased. Also have original idlers still running have never seen another manufacture do this.