Kawasaki FR691V Running Lean Issue

Charger01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to the forum but have been a lurker for a while. Lots of great information on this forum but I can't seem to find the issue I am currently dealing with.

I have a ZTR with a FR691V engine that has worked flawlessly for many years until now. The engine has developed a lean condition that I can't seem to solve so I would appreciate any advice given. Currently I can only keep the engine running if the choke is partially on. If I take the choke off, the engine dies. If I try and mow with the choke partially on the engine runs hotter then it should and suffers from power loss. The things I have tried to fix the issues are:
Replace the carb
Replace the fuel pump
Replace the fuel filter with a larger Kohler one
Replace the air filter
Replace the spark plugs
Make sure the line to the fuel tank is clear
Make sure the line from the fuel pump to the crankcase is clear
Adjust the valves to .005 (They needed very little adjustment)
Check the compression - 105PSI in one, 120 PSI in the other.
Drained the fuel tank and added fresh gas

None of this has made one bit of difference in the way the engine runs. Its exactly the same as when I started so I am missing something!!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scroll down & locate your engine, see section 10 Troubleshooting Section. Was Kohler a misprint for fuel filter instead of Kawasaki? Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
See Section 5 upper end. Always use Kawasaki OEM parts below, scroll down page for better price for two filters on Amazon.
Compression readings of 105 & 120, too far apart for me. How many hours are on your engine?
This carburetor is OEM Kawasaki FR691V the real deal. The cheaper ones are imitations from overseas.

Last edited:

Charger01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply Mark, I will review the troubleshooting section and see if there is anything I missed.

I did originally replace the fuel filter with a Kawasaki one but it was so small I was concerned it might be restrictive so I then replaced it with a much larger Kohler fuel filter. Neither made any difference in the way the engine is running.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Was the replacement carb a new boxed & branded OEM part on an on line cheapie lottery part ?
Seen way too many replacement carbs that were obviously rescued from a scrap metal bin

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check for an air leak around the intake manifold and the carb mounting gaskets. Take the blower housing off and start the engine and spray carb. cleaner where the intake bolts to the heads and see if you get a change in the way it runs. If you do you have an air leak there.

Charger01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the delay in posting back on my progress. I did check for leaks and did not find any so based on your suggestions I replaced the carb again only this time with a genuine Kawasaki carb which was much more expensive then the china made knock-off I tried. Well that did it! The engine now runs like new and has full power while running. Live & Learn!

I will say in my defense that the very first thing I tried was replacing the carb but when I did that the engine did not run any better or worse so I moved on to other possibilities. I just did not know the cheap carbs sold all over Amazon are worthless pieces of junk! Many have very good reviews so I was misled. A lot of time and money wasted on my part.

Thanks again for all your posts and good information! Problem solved!
Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good to hear that you got it sorted
All the techs on here who actually know what we are talking about are bored to the teeth from advising people to only buy parts from genuine mower parts retailers who have a physical address with windows you can throw rocks through if they sold you trash.
Amazon / ebay is the absolute perfect platform for FRAUD as you have just found out .
Some will have good quality parts and others are selling parts that were purchased from the OEM factory as scrap metal because they are defective.
But just about every time we do this a dozen people who lucked it in and got a good one or found an honest vendor will chime in that they got a good one for 1/10th the price of the manufacturers branded one .