kawasaki fr651v won't stay charged!

Isaac SanJuan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 60 in. Toro with a kawasaki fr651v 21.5 hp engine. About a week ago, I thought the battery died so i charged it. It wont hold a charge and I can use jumper cables to start it, but it wont turn on without them. Any idea what's wrong?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the CCA's and the battery isn't defective, take a multi meter, with the engine running and see if the battery is getting any juice. It should read close to 14.
If it's not, then you'll need to check the wiring coming out of the alternator. If it shows to be producing voltage, then your problem lies between the alternator and the battery.
Broken wire, bad connection etc etc

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
. You say it won't hold a charge. If so battery is definately bad. Replace the battery and check voltage while running. Should be around 13.5 - 14.5 volts. If not need to check the charging system.

Isaac SanJuan

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the CCA's and the battery isn't defective, take a multi meter, with the engine running and see if the battery is getting any juice. It should read close to 14.
If it's not, then you'll need to check the wiring coming out of the alternator. If it shows to be producing voltage, then your problem lies between the alternator and the battery.
Broken wire, bad connection etc etc
Thank you, I think it might be the alternator itself... how do I find out what kind I need to replace it?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you, I think it might be the alternator itself... how do I find out what kind I need to replace it?

Use the engine model number to find the correct alternator. But make sure it is the alternator before you replace it. Because if it's not, then you'll be wasting your money. And you'll still have to fix what ever is actually wrong. Alternators rarely go out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can be the voltage regulator as I see quite a few failed when not keeping the battery charged but with the Toro having a 60" deck I would think it has a electric PTO. If so it can be partially shorted pulling more amps than the stator (alternator) can produce.

You need to do the tests in the service manual and test the PTO coil's winding to see that is above 1.7 ohms. Everything at 1.7 ohms or lower indicates a short in the clutch windings.