Kawasaki FC290V No Spark Trouble

Josh411

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a used John Deere RX73 riding mower with a Kawasaki FC290V pull start engine. This is my first riding mower and it's putting me through the ringer. I bought it knowing there was no spark and thinking I could figure it out but haven't been able to. So far, I disconnected the kill switch, I replaced the spark plug, tested the ignition coil (which tested good), I replaced the ignition coil to be on the safe side, quadruple checked the air gap, and cleaned up any and all rust around the coil and magnet. I'm still not getting a spark. Any ideas?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What's the spec number of the engine FC290V-xxxx?
could be a bad igniter.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
can any of the following engines (FC290V-DS01) (SUB FOR AM102414 (FC290V-AS01), AM105455 (FC290V-BS01) OR AM105931 (FC290V-CS01))

Replace ignitor module.PN M73484
s-l640.jpg

Josh411

Forum Newbie
Threads
What's the spec number of the engine FC290V-xxxx?
could be a bad igniter.
Fc290v-AS01
The ignitor is connected to the kill switch line though. Does that mean the kill switch line has to be connected to the coil in order to spark?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes...

Josh411

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did some more troubleshooting to no avail. I installed the new ignitor which didn't work. I did some more research online and found that I was using the wrong spark plug so I got the new one but it still didn't fix it. Looking I looked through the wiring harness and didn't see any damaged or exposed wires that would cause a ground. There are 4 total plugs in the harness. One goes under the mower and plugs in right above the transmission. I'm not sure what it's plugging into. One goes to the ignition. The other two weren't plugged into anything. I assume one is meant for the seat safety switch but I don't know what the other is for. There also two black wires coming out of the harness and grounding to the engine. I've tried jumping all of the plugs but it still didn't make a difference. I don't know if the missing pieces would affect the spark. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the magnet on the flywheel is losing its charge and isn't strong enough anymore. It is a pretty old mower. Any thoughts?