K3 vs K4 ?

Ruckus

Threads
Looking to buy a new HRX217HZA or HRX217HYA. I think K4 is a newer version than the K3, is this correct? Also, would there be any difference in the K3 vs K4? Would there be a newer yet model or version that I am not aware of, such as a K5 or something. Thanks for your help. It is truly appreciated. My heavy shopping day will be Tuesday of next week. Thanks Again!

Threads
Yes the K4 version is newer than the K3, and to my knowledge there is nothing newer than the K4. I don't know the updates that were made from the K3 to K4, though. I have the K3 version of the HYA: HRX2173HYA! :thumbsup:

Ruckus

Threads
When I was HD yesterday I saw K4's in boxes setting on top of K3's. I have a dealer that I will buy mine from, I just want to make sure that I get the latest version. I will try to make sure that I get the K4. Thank You Very Much!

RonS993

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I was HD yesterday I saw K4's in boxes setting on top of K3's. I have a dealer that I will buy mine from, I just want to make sure that I get the latest version. I will try to make sure that I get the K4. Thank You Very Much!

From what I can tell, the main difference between the HRX217HZA models is that the K3 comes with an external battery charger and the mower does NOT charge the battery while running, while the K4 has the auto-charging circuitry, and the external battery charger is available as an optional accessory. I believe the battery is also a bit more easily accessible on the K3, with a clip on battery cover since the battery would need to be accessed more often to attach the external charger, whereas the K4 battery cover is secured by three screws.

I compared a replacement part list, and the K4 has a different magneto coil, presumably for the additional charging circuit. The transmission and everything else appears to be the same on each model, and cosmetics and mower functions appear identical.

The local Honda dealer tells me that the K4 was generally designed for climates with longer mowing seasons and less storage time which would tend to keep the battery charged, where the K3 is for areas with longer storage intervals which would deplete the battery charge and make external charging more desirable.

Hope this helps...

Ron S.

Last edited:

Ruckus

Threads
From what I can tell, the main difference between the HRX217HZA models is that the K3 comes with an external battery charger and the mower does NOT charge the battery while running, while the K4 has the auto-charging circuitry, and the external battery charger is available as an optional accessory. I believe the battery is also a bit more easily accessible on the K3, with a clip on battery cover since the battery would need to be accessed more often to attach the external charger, whereas the K4 battery cover is secured by three screws.

I compared a replacement part list, and the K4 has a different magneto coil, presumably for the additional charging circuit. The transmission and everything else appears to be the same on each model, and cosmetics and mower functions appear identical.

The local Honda dealer tells me that the K4 was generally designed for climates with longer mowing seasons and less storage time which would tend to keep the battery charged, where the K3 is for areas with longer storage intervals which would deplete the battery charge and make external charging more desirable.

Hope this helps...

Ron S.

Thank You Ron S. I appreciate the information. I definitely want to try and find the K4. Unless, the dealer would like to significantly reduce the price for a K3 which I doubt will happen. My Toro Recycler has been running much better than it did at the beginning of the season. This is making it more difficult to fork out the $900 for a new Honda. If I am going to buy a new Honda I had better do it soon before I lose the extra year of warranty. Thanks Again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads
Thank You Ron S. I appreciate the information. I definitely want to try and find the K4. Unless, the dealer would like to significantly reduce the price for a K3 which I doubt will happen. My Toro Recycler has been running much better than it did at the beginning of the season. This is making it more difficult to fork out the $900 for a new Honda. If I am going to buy a new Honda I had better do it soon before I lose the extra year of warranty. Thanks Again!

I still think you would be happy you bought the Honda! :thumbsup: