K181 8hp with points and condenser, no spark

arch252

Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt tiller with an 8 hp Kohler K181ST-301006. It is electric start. It has point and condenser. It won't start, getting fuel but no spark. I used an inline spark tester and I'm getting nothing. I tested the points and they were not making contact. I cleaned the points and gapped them and they tested out great, good contact. I rechecked with the inline spark tested but still nothing. I used a small lighted current tester and connected it to the spark plug cap. When I turned the engine over it was lighting up. That led me to believe the coil is sending a spark, just an extremely weak spark, not enough to light up the inline spark tester. Would this indicate a problem with the coil or a problem with the condenser? I was inclined to go ahead and order a condenser since that was cheap and easy to swap.

Another question about this. There were three wires connecting to the condenser, one wire going to the points, one wire going to the ignition switch and one wire going to the grounding tab on the linkage panel that continues on from there to go behind the shroud to where I am assuming it connects to the stator. In the picture you can see the three different wires, I have them disconnected. I tested the connections, with all three wires connected to the condenser, the condenser showed to be grounded. I disconnected the three wires and the condenser tab was not grounded. Each one of the three wires were tested separately and showed they all were grounded. The wire going to the stator was grounded even after I disconnected it from the ground tab on the linkage panel. Should those three wires be grounded? Doesn't seem to me that they should.

I was going to remove the flywheel just to check the shaft key but I wasn't able to remove the flywheel so I gave up on it. Not a big deal except I was not able to inspect the coil or magnets.

arch252

Threads
Sorry, pics

Attachments

• 20160916_222944_1474083912584.jpg
    20160916_222944_1474083912584.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20160916_222931_1474083912124.jpg
    20160916_222931_1474083912124.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 30

arch252

Threads
Thank you Rivets, that is extremely helpful.

I know very little about electrical circuits so please help me out here.

I was able to determine what my wiring should be. At some point this has been tinkered with. I attached the correct wiring diagram. I should have two wires from the condenser, one going to the points and one going to the coil. I should have a wire from the key switch to the coil and a wire from the coil to the condenser. I only have one wiring coming off my coil. Does that wire connect to the condenser or the key switch OR can it connect to both since the one going to the condenser and then to the points is just to ground it when the points close?

The points connect to the condenser, but does it really matter where the points connect within that circuit? As long as it supplies a ground when the points close, couldn't the points connect at the condenser, at the coil or anywhere else inline?

I said I had three wires connecting to the condenser. 1) hotwire going to the key switch, 2) wire going to the coil, 3) grounding wire connecting to the points.

In my attached pictures you will see two pictures of the coil with the bearing plate removed. I am pointing to the one wire that comes from the coil. It is attached to a secondary inline grounding circuit on the linkage panel (for the Stop position on the throttle control). Should that wire connect to the key switch or the condenser, or can it connect to both AT the condenser tab (which is what I have done)? The picture on the carb side I am point to that same wire where it is currently connected to the condenser tab. Below my hand you can see the second wire that is connecting the condenser tab to the points. You can see the third wire on the condenser tab that is disconnected, I had that wire connecting to the key switch. Finally you see me pointing to the disconnected wire from the key switch. According to the wiring diagram it should connect to the coil but there is not a second wire coming off the coil so if I can't connect that to the condenser tab, where do I connect it?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 28

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Read pages 8.2 and 8.3 in the manual I attached earlier. It talks about the battery ignition system which you have and the diagram 8-3 is the one you want to follow. If you have more questions after you have read that post back.

arch252

Threads
Thank Rivet, I missed that earlier but that sure makes more sense. The one wire from my coil connects to both the condenser and the points. Where does the wire connect that is coming from the key switch? Does that connect to my condenser?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you look at the diagram it goes to the coil.

arch252

Threads
I was with you but you lost me there. I do not have a coil like that pictured in 8.3. I don't have two wires, a positive and negative. My coil (pictured in previous post) is attached to the stator mounted under the flywheel. I only have one wire, and according to the diagram in 8.2 that wire goes to the points and condenser. That all makes sense but leaves the key switch wire with no place to go.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You may be in over your head. If the wire comes from under the flywheel, you have a magneto system, not a battery coil system. Stators are used on charging systems and have nothing to do with the ignition system on the K engines. You are going to have to read all of section 8 in the manual to identify which system you have and how to wire it. This manual is the easiest to us, so follow it's directions and diagrams, after you know which system you have.

arch252

Threads
I do have a magneto system, or at least I think I do, please look at that earlier photo and tell me. I also have a stator to recharge the battery for the electric starter.