K141 overall valve lengths question

topconker

Threads
Last part of my K141 motor and see the valve clearance to too high, (0.020+), on both exhaust and intake valves. I've lapped both in but before I close the lid wanted to know if it's worth buying replacement valves. Does anyone have the spec on the valve overall lengths as I can't find it anywhere and found trying to contact kohler impossible for help.
Cheers,
Phil.

topconker

Threads
Also it looks like I may have to re cut the valve seat, again does anyone have the specs for this please. angle etc?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you done this before? Have the seats been replaced? It's been a long time since I did any valve seats, but it wasn't a simple process back then. The process I followed included a mandrel to guide the stones, three different angle stones and a power tool to spin the stones. There was also a separate tool for grinding valves and dressing the stones. These were not cheap tools, either.

Maybe it's simpler now. Harbor Freight probably sells the whole works for ten bucks.

topconker

Threads
It's at times like this that I wish we lived in the USA rather than the UK as we cannot get anything like this here. We have to rely on Amazon, e-bay or other online suppliers. Would love to buy in the USA but the P&P plus import duties make everything very expensive

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the seats need to be recut take it along to a mower shop & ask them to do it.
Any motorcycle workshop that works on old British motorcycle will also have the gear in the right size.
That will be a small fraction of the price to buy the gear you need to cut seats.
Should be lots of old gear in the motorcycle section of the internet used sales .
I charge $ 20 ( AUS ) a valve for cutting seats and $ 10 extra for facing the valves .
You can also use car gear, we had an old Repco unit that came from an old service station that closed down .
It did the job quite well but eventually we dug into the pockets for some Neway hand gear which does the job better & faster

topconker

Threads
Thanks Bert, probably the best bet but will have to wait for the shut down before I can ask