just quit

gregjo1948

Threads
JD Z960R was running as it should with its Kawasaki engine and then just stopped running. There was no sputtering or lurching, it just stopped. The ignition turns on the hour meter and the idiot lights, but won't activate the starter. I'm thinking it might have blown a fuse but I haven't located a fuse box. Is there a fuse box or a breaker somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. gregjo1948

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since it just quit. Did you remember to turn off the deck before trying to restart. Maybe something else going on, but most people forget to turn off the blades when something suddenly goes wrong. Will prevent restarting. And with power to other things almost rules out a fuse issue.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is only two fuses. One that powers nearly which with the hour meter coming is good. The other one is for only the power deck lift.

And parking brake (switch) must engaged along with PTO switch being off..

Also are there any diagnostic codes displayed? IF so what are they and what is the mower's serial number? There is a serial break at 030000 which wiring changes were made per my service manual. I need to know this so I can piece together the correct schematic as JD has them broken across three pages. It will not show the internal workings on the VCU. ANd you must be able read and follow the schematic to trouble shoot the electrical system.

I do know the VCU (vehicle control unit) do fail and can cause this problem. But only electrical diagnostics will tell if it has failed or not.

gregjo1948

Threads
Deck is turned off. Going to bypass seat safety switch and motion control switches also. Looking in JD parts for this model shows a 30A fuse but I haven.t found it on this machine. Thinking may need to open panel under throttle/ignition switch to find fuse.(s)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Note these ZTRs will start normally without the operator present when the PTO is off and brake set.

And you are going to have one heck of a time finding any motion control switches. Actually it would take a miracle to find them.

One note on the brake switch. It may not be fully depressed even the parking brake set. The linkage may be out adjustment. Depending how much weather the ZTR has been sitting in the adjustment may be frozen and linkage has to be replaced before the adjustment can be made. Plus the switch itself maybe worn out.

The last 950 here that had this problem I had to temporary shim the switch until I could get in the linkage from JD. It was commercial customer so he needed mower back online. Luckily he has a back up 925 as now the 950 is back in the shop with oil pressure problem and I got to get the engine back together after finally getting in the parts.

Now back to my weekly housework and normal Sunday running around.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You really should arm yourself with the JD technical manual
Worth 10 times what they ask for it .
Detailed instructions about how to test each & every part, what the bits do where they are and how to replace them
And as Star has already mentioned detailed circuit diagrams

gregjo1948

Threads
I mostly work on Ferris mowers. Just trying to help out a friend on this JD. Solved the big problem about it quitting. RAN OUT OF FUEL. Gauge read 3/4 full. Wouldn't crank over because some DUMBASS didn't set the brake. thanks for the help, gregjo1948