Just ordered a new engine for my Tiger Cub

LAWNMAN02556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Troops,
With spring just around the corner and an ailing engine on my Tiger Cub, I just ordered a new repower engine. Having agonized some about this, I decided to go with a Briggs 49M977 which is a 30HP twin with the cyclonic air filtration system. I really wanted a Kawasaki FX730, but the dollars to complete the job would be more than twice the cost of the Briggs and just not in my budget!!! I need to get this done and put some time on the engine before spring cleanup starts. The present engine, a Briggs 26HP ELS engine with 500 hours is loosing compression in the L/H cylinder and a leakdown test shows all the leakage going by the rings. I'm not happy with this situation but it is what it is. I'll tear down the old engine later on this year to see what is ailing it, however it will not be a priority. I also need to buy a new hedge trimmer as my Echo is also ailing and I'm undecided about which hedge trimmer to buy.
Anyway, this is what is going on with Mad Mackie in CT:laughing:

Hey Mackie,

I kmow this is an old thread but I am in this situation now my question is did you have to buy a different muffler for it or were you able to use the old one? I a B&S 24hpw

Thanks!

Stu

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Stu,
Yes I was able to reuse the muffler from the 26 Briggs ELS engine on the new 30 Briggs Commercial Turf engine. Actually everything lined up and went together fine, the crankshaft dimensions on both engines being the same.
The new engine requires a shorter throw of both the choke and throttle cables and a Briggs & Stratton service advisory provided to me by the engine seller suggested removing the throttle and choke connections from the old engine and installing them onto the new engine. I chose to not do this and I adjusted the choke cable to fully open the choke in the open position with the choke lever and allow full choke to be at a less than full choke lever travel. I installed a stop plate on the throttle lever at full throttle on the engine and this has worked out fine for me.
I have just over 100 hours on the new engine and I am impressed with its performance so far. I did have a charging system problem that I thought was the voltage regulator which turned out to be poor connection at one of the electrical connectors in the machine electrical harness.
My new engine came from equipatron.com and I have since bought oil, fuel and air filters from them. Reasonable prices and quick shipping.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

scagman2

Threads
I wasn't crazy about going from 26 HP to 30 HP but the only engine available with cyclonic air filtration is the 30 HP model so I went with it. Eventually Briggs will make other HP models available with cyclonic air filtration, but I can't wait until then. The new engine has a ' fuel management system', and I have mixed feelings about fuel management on carburetored engines, but I'll soon find out!!!! The seller, "equipatron", sent me info from Briggs regarding the change from my original engine to the new engine and it is basically a direct swap over with possibly some electrical changes. I may replace the hour meter however it was new about two years ago. I'm also going to replace the key switch as I suspect that it has been the source of intermittent cranking problems. With the weather in the mid west being as it is I expect that shipping the engine to me will be delayed some. Where I have the machine stored there is still piled snow so I will need to deal with this to get it out and into my trailer to bring it my shop, always something!!!!!!:confused2:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing:

Had the Brig's 22 hp on a former tiger cub. Didn't last long and wouldn't hold together. 4 oil leak repairs and major power loss after 400 hrs. Traded it for a Tiger cat 48" with the FH601V 19 HP Kawasaki.with 250 hrs... now has 850 hrs. and is in need of a clutch replacement. Upper bearings are screaming big time. Wasn't sure exactly how to remove bolt in engine shaft holding up clutch... until I saw your post on another thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge... you are a big help M.M. Regards, Tom

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi scagman2,
My 30 HP Briggs commercial Turf now has 420 hours on it and running fine.
Bear in mind that the both bearings in the clutch turn when the PTO switch is off and both of the drive belt pulleys turn all the time the engine is running.
My clutch is still OK and has 800 hours. I'm in the process of replacing the drive belt, pulleys and the L/H pump as it has been acting strange. However, removing the pulley from the L/H pump is a problem. I may have to cut it off with a die grinder which for sure will damage the pump shaft. I was hoping to save the pump and repair it, but!!!!!
Tomorrow may be a learning day as I have exhausted most of my options to save the pump and pulley!!! I do have a new L/H pump and my Scag dealer has the pulley and O rings in stock!!! Not a lot of room under the machine to work on it. I have it across the pit in my garage, but I need better access to the pump pulley area.