Just noticed no key

Digiacomo

Threads
I ordered a starter and it should be here today, I've been busy cleaning parts, removing deck, and fixing tires and never niticed that I did'nt get a key in the deal......This is an 84 mtd.......Is there a way to make the switch turn??.......I don't care if it has a key to start........I haven't pulled the switch yet ......I'm assuming that it won't be hard to hot wire?? any ideas will help...........I got a good laugh when I found a piece os bailing wire tied to the choke and stung up to floor board.........no telling what will be next ;-]

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely it is an indak key which are basically so common you about get them at the grocery store. May be worth stopping by a local mower shop they may have some keys sitting in junk mowers out back they would about give away.

Digiacomo

Threads
I see that tractor supply has an arnold universal key I'll pick one up just for fun, if it works, I'll post back........I have an old lawn chief and it's key would not work.........thanks for the info Ilengine......

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are two keys primarily used on riding mowers one is the indak which is short and kind of T shaped used in metal key switches.. the other is the Delta which is more normal key shaped and is used in the plastic switches.

There are a few oddball keys that have been used over the years but just not that common..

Digiacomo

Threads
I bought the short key.......I have a metal switch {this whole machine is metal!!}...........the problem looks like maybe a broken key in the hole.......the short universal keys do work in my lawn chief..........

Digiacomo

Threads
I got the switch to work with the short key.....It had a few small pieces of a broken key in the slots......patience won the battle.....I got the new starter on, took the carb apart and cleaned it out, .......I had to jump the solenoid to get the starter to turn and one shot in the hole and she fired right up and ran like new..........that put a big smile on my face.......I need to figure out all of the carb linkage and set up throttle and choke cables.........and search for an filter and housing.......I did not get any of that in the deal.....I feel like a kid building my first go cart again?

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I bought the short key.......I have a metal switch {this whole machine is metal!!}...........the problem looks like maybe a broken key in the hole.......the short universal keys do work in my lawn chief..........
Give a dealer information to look up a replacement ignition switch and forget cobbing the beautify old beast please!

Digiacomo

Threads
Thanks for the good advice, but I do this stuff for enjoyment, so if I can take the time and try to rebuild and make it work, it's just more fun for me.....