Just bought my first Snapper- bagger question

brandonre

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. Just picked up a model 30085. 1985 vintage 30" rer with an 8 HP B/S. I got it home and it runs fairly well. It does bog down in thick wet grass. I am still tweaking the carb and trying to get it running great instead of good.

It came with a grass catcher kit. Will need to get a new bag for it, but I have a question. The adapter which bolts onto the deck is getting clogged. Is that something that happens frequently with these setups? If so, I will have to decide if it's worth getting the new bag or just using it as a mulcher. Of course, the grass is pretty high right now. Been having storms every day for the past week. Means it's about two weeks worth of growth which is way too long to be easily managed this time of year around here. Plan to get a Ninja blade tomorrow and give that a whirl to see how it does.

And seeing the projects on this board has inspired me to do some work on mine when I have a chance and see if I can make her like new again.

Bytheway

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check to see if your blade has "wings" on the end. With the wings on these machine, you should literally have like a vacuum cleaner.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
And also make sure the engine top end speed is set right.:thumbsup:

HarryHarley

Threads
If you use a bagger, you really need the "wings" on the end of the blade. They are called "Air Lifts" and they look like this. If your present blade does not have the 3 holes to attach the "lifts", you'll need to get that new blade. They are about $20. Plus the cost of the lifts. You really be happy how they work. Together they are call the Hi-Vac. You also need to make sure you deck supports the Hi-Vac feature. Meaning the deck is a little deeper.
By the way, if the grass is real tall and wet..... it's going to clog on almost any mower if you're bagging.
So cut more often for less clogging. Like you we've been getting lots of rain in Louisiana. Sometime I just cut it, wait a day or two for the clipping to dry out then go back and cut and bag it. But that's only when I want a real pretty looking lawn. LOL

Attachments

• Snapper AirLifts for 28or33 inch 7-17-12.jpg
    Snapper AirLifts for 28or33 inch 7-17-12.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 28

brandonre

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all. I did have the air lift wings installed. I think the grass was just too tall and wet to bag well. I'll give it another shot next time, with more manageable grass.