Just a word of Advice to Craftsman Riding lawnmower owners

Need2learn

Threads
  • / Just a word of Advice to Craftsman Riding lawnmower owners
Just a word of Advice to Craftsman Riding lawnmower owners don't make the same mistake I did and order replacement deck or motor fan belts from Amazon, I ordered two of them and BOTH WERE TOO SHORT...
the length suppose to have been 95 1/4 inches long both were too tight causing the blades to turn while trying to start it.. I measured the belts I ordered from Amazon they both were 94" 1 1/4" to short, remember
Craftsman belts come in quarters of a inch all other companies round it up to a flat number.. Most on here was telling me that my belt was put on wrong or my tension springs were bad... NOPE Stay away from Amazon Belts for
Craftsman mowers..

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you order generic belts by size or OEM belts

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why people insist of going to Ammozone or Evilpay to buy mower parts when there is a plethoria of dedicated mower parts supplies on line is beyond me.
And no US mower maker bothers to make their decks & drives so they take standard size belts
Australian ones do US ones don't

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never had a problem with a replacement belt from any common source including the two above as long as I stayed with well know brands like Gates, Dayton, Continental etc., whose labeling system takes into account those small variances some others average out. Also NAPA carries a lot of belts made by Gates or Dayton.

Need2learn

Threads
Did you order generic belts by size or OEM belts
I've never had a problem with a replacement belt from any common source including the two above as long as I stayed with well know brands like Gates, Dayton, Continental etc., whose labeling system takes into account those small variances some others average out. Also NAPA carries a lot of belts made by Gates or Dayton.

Need2learn

Threads
I said from Amazon that is where I had the trouble at make sure you always measure your belts as well

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Another vendor I had to dump was Sunbelt / A&I as they got where every belt I order that was supposedly OEM spec'd was coming 1-2 shorter than the labeled size. I got lucky on the Husqvarna and MTD lines as I land two distributors of their parts.

One good thing came out that belt mess and that is I now have a 200 inch v-belt measuring tool.

A&I which took over Sunbelt Outdoors here has gotten to point that their products are not up to snuff. Then went they commando on shipping charges along other problems I was having with that cause to put them a six month no purchase restriction. I have since replaced nearly every product that I was selling for them.

This year they sent out a threatening email that if I don't buy $2000 of their products by September they would close my account. Well if things don't turn around here on the Briggs parts I won't need them anyways.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
normally all belts from well known manufacturers have a part number on them. That number includes or references the actual length, the width, the angle of the Vee, the depth, and other factors. A generic belt of X length is not the same as a belt of X length, Y width, Z depth, R angle of the Vee, and S, T, U features. The part number from the mower manufacturer normally does not include all these features, but the actual part number on the belt does if one looks it up in the belt manufacturer's catalog.

Star Tech - sorry things are not good. We have grown into a replacement society rather than a repair society. Making matters worse are laws like what we have here now where in another year sales of all small engines will be outlawed and electric must be sold in its place.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I said from Amazon that is where I had the trouble at make sure you always measure your belts as well
was it a generic "fits your mower" belt, or a Gates / Dayton / Trublue etc belt that cross referenced to the part number on your original belt?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem with Ammozone , Evilpay . Facebook market , Craigs list and every other mass platform is you have no idea who the vendor is
Their identity is a secret so they could be a real mower supplier who knows what they are selling , a remainder merchant who buys stuff bulk at auction with no idea what it is or where it is used apart from what is on the catalogue or a backyard importer who orders stuff that "fits and XYZ" from third world countries and would not know a mower belt from a trouser belt .
And you have n idea because I can sell absolute trash on any of those platforms, pay a computer geek in any one of a dozen third world countries to make a fake good profile & provide very good feed back for as little as $ 20 .
Bezos does not care if the product is so bad it kills you all he cares about is the vendor & distribution fees

This is why I use Ali-Baba . Made in China , Made in India & other such platforms where you are buying from ( supposedly ) real companies that all have street addresses email addresses & phone numbers .
Then some of these platforms even act as an escrow so the vendor does not get paid till the goods have been delivered & you have acknowledged they arrived in good condition & were fit for purpose.