JRCO Dethatcher on Toro Titan

smow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Curious what your opinion is on running a JRCO dethatcher on a Toro Titan ZX4820 - or really any mower with the ZT-2800 hydros. Local dealer mentioned the zt2800 might not be sufficient for a front mount dethatcher and suggested I go with an el-cheapo home depot tow-behind style. This won't be for commercial use, just my own 1 acre yard. Any one using one on a ZTR with the zt2800's?

tybilly

Threads
I had a tow behind,they work good,just add a little weight,just be careful when turning,don't do the hard "zero turn". on your lawn,a Ryan Ren-o-Thin works a whole lot better,might try and rent one for the day,check out their video on you tube,it works just like that.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Curious what your opinion is on running a JRCO dethatcher on a Toro Titan ZX4820 - or really any mower with the ZT-2800 hydros. Local dealer mentioned the zt2800 might not be sufficient for a front mount dethatcher and suggested I go with an el-cheapo home depot tow-behind style. This won't be for commercial use, just my own 1 acre yard. Any one using one on a ZTR with the zt2800's?

A dethatcher is much easier and more effective when front mounted on a ZTR. I'm not familiar with ZT2800 hydrostatic drives, but I would think that a ZTR with two 2800 drive units wouldn't have a problem handling a JRCO front mount unit. I have one on my Scag Tiger Cub and I use it during spring cleanup at lower engine speeds to push branches and leaves into a row and then go over the row with the collection system running to suck it all up. I do hand pickup the big stuff out of the rows that would not pass thru the collection blower or possibly tear up the hose to the bags. Without a collection system, the deck blows out all the dethatch to the side and still needs to be cleaned up or blown away methodically.
Heat is the worst enemy to hydrostatic drive units, dirt and dust on the drive units slows down the transfer of heat out of the drive units and overheating of the oil in them causes problems. In the photo album section find Mad Mackies album and you can see my Scag with collection and 46" JRCO dethatcher installed. All the pics show the dethatcher in the stowed/transport position. When in use, it is lowered so the wheels roll on the ground. The unit height is adjustable with a couple of tools which I keep in a pouch that I mounted on the back of the seat.
Just some thoughts from
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited: