john deere

jamberr1967

Forum Newbie
Threads
john deer z445 will not charge chaged the batt voltage reg and stator and starter there is no out put on the stator and only charges to 12.45 will fly wheel cause this

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would be nice to have the model numbers for the engine so we can see which charging system you have.

dhunterr

Forum Newbie
Threads
No one has written a clear answer to this topic. I became a member hoping to see the answers. my JD z445 also has a problem with the starter not charging. I checked the user manuals but could not find it. I showed it to the local dealer and he could not solve it either.
I have found a few sources but I do not fully understand. Could you take a look at these?
JD Official: https://www.deere.com/en/parts-and-service/zero-turn-mowers/residential-eztrak/z445/
Tractordata: https://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/4/45-john-deere-445.html
Tractordir: https://tractordir.com/john-deere-z445-review-a-review-of-a-great-mower/

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
May I ask what you mean by “starter not charging”? I’ve dealt which bad stators, rotors, batteries and voltage regulators in the charging system, but never a starter which is not part of the charging system.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in the day...... lots of mowers used starter generators. I don't know if any today. Be nice to know what engine OP actually has.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen one Kohler K301 engine with the old starter/DC generator setup.

But the JD Z445 uses either the Kawasaki or Briggs v-twin engines which uses the newer alternator setup. Kawasaki especially will not charge via the voltage regulator when the battery is not seen present. Bad connections in either the positive or negative paths will cause as well as a bad regulator. The stator only ouput AC voltage so there must be a working rectifier/voltage regulator present.

And the starter on these engines does NOT produce any voltage to charge the battery or run any accessories; it is the stator under the flywheel that does this along the rectifier/voltage regulator.

JDBobT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any one have a link to the parts description for the EZTrak Z445 with the Kawasaki 27 Horse V Twin? I am having the same issue of the battery not being charged during use. I have to hook up a charger after a few hours of Mowing. If I shut it off before parking at the charger, it is dead. Need to find the rectifier/regulator / stator locations and specs/part numbers.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do yourself a massive favour and spend the money on the JD Tech Manual for your mower
You will go from novice to expert in 1 step overnight .
The position of every part is shown in manual, including all of the plugs and all of the hidden switches
You regulator will be bolted onto the blower housing
I is the thing about 2" x 1" with a 3 wire plug on it
2 wires will be the AC feed , they are the same colour and the odd coloured wire will be the DC feed back to the mower
The final connection is the body of the regulator / rectifier which should be grounded
If you have the metal blower housing then it grounds through that
If plastic blower housing then it many have a ground strap
IF the alternator is good then the AC aires will be 26V AC ( or better ) between them
If the rectifier is working the other wire will be 13 V or better to the engine or mower frame
On ZTR'a this wire tends to fail at the plug where the engine plugs into the mower

However the JD manual will explain where to test , how to test and how to fix which is why it is such good value .