John Deere Z335E dead electrical system

chrisd1972vw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an issue and need some help. I serviced a very abused Z335E. It ran fine after I was finished and I parked it in anticipation of washing it to returning it to the customer. Now, nothing. The battery is fully charged. I found a blown fuse and changed it. I also found the switch had been hot on a terminal, so I changed it. Still nothing. The wiring is suspect as nice have been chewing on it. But, it ran fine after the service is the puzzling point. I didn't find any places it's grounded out. Anyone have any suggestions where I go to next? I have my volt meter and plan to start tracing. Thanks for any help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it had a mouse problem I’ll bet you’ll find a frayed wire somewhere. This will test your patience as a technician.

Auto Doc's

Threads
Sounds like the seat safety switch or one of the control handle safety switches.

Stupid question: Was the electric PTO switch turned off? Seen it happen several times.

chrisd1972vw

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it had a mouse problem I’ll bet you’ll find a frayed wire somewhere. This will test your patience as a technician.
I'm running the wires now. It ran after I serviced it. It ran to where it was parked.

chrisd1972vw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the seat safety switch or one of the control handle safety switches.

Stupid question: Was the electric PTO switch turned off? Seen it happen several times.

chrisd1972vw

Forum Newbie
Threads
The safety switch on the seat is good. The handles switches tested good, but the wires have been damaged by mice (as has a lot of the wiring harness. ) The PTO switch was off.

Auto Doc's

Threads
If you see mouse damaged wire, stop and get customer approval before dismantling the machine. There will be much more mouse damage hidden under the panels in dark areas where they like to hide..

Just performing a routine service does (not) break a customer's machine.

Rodents are attracted to the wire insulation because it is made from a byproduct of cooking oil production.

Most likely a wire was on its last strand and finally broke completely or it grounded out on the chassis

Last edited:

DanDavis_

Forum Newbie
Threads
You mentioned you have replaced the seat switch, but there maybe other safety switches , such as the brake switch, that may also cause the problem. try make sure all safety switches are in the correct position and their circuits are not shorted?

chrisd1972vw

Forum Newbie
Threads
You mentioned you have replaced the seat switch, but there maybe other safety switches , such as the brake switch, that may also cause the problem. try make sure all safety switches are in the correct position and their circuits are not shorted?
I have discovered damage by mice. The thing that is throwing me is when you just turn the key on, the hour meter will not even turn on. I'm running the wires now to make sure something isn't broken or grounded out. Thanks for the input.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fuse box is where I would start
There are 2 circuits
switched power & unswitched power
In each case a single feed wire splits into 2 outlet wires at the box
All of the wiring on ll of the Z series I wave worked on has been the same
this is it