John Deere X530 (2012) 24HP Kawasaki - Weird Electrical Problem.. Engine randomly shuts off like it's out of gas but, NOT!

Alphadog

Threads
  • / John Deere X530 (2012) 24HP Kawasaki - Weird Electrical Problem.. Engine randomly shuts off like it's out of gas but, NOT!
I just read all the posts. Thankyou for the detailed description of your issue! Easiest way to differentiate between a fuel issue and electrical issue is to hit the choke when the engine starts to die. If it makes a difference, your issue is fuel related. If it doesnt make a difference, it is not fuel related. That being said, the one part not mentioned above is the interlock control module located under the dash. You can identify it by following the wires under the dash. It is held in place by a 10mm head screw. This is the 'brain unit' for the safety system. It has a time delay built into it. It can fail and randomly cut the spark to the coils. The way to properly test it is to disconnect the black wire at the engine. Mow your grass. If the engine never shuts off, the interlock module is your problem. Note: with the black kill wire disconnected, when you turn your key off, the engine will continue to run for a few seconds until the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb kills the fuel. Use caution. I have replaced many of these modules and Deere has subbed them many times. Good luck!
Hey Will, thanks for stopping by. I've been cutting this morning for a few hours and scratching my head the whole time. Right off the bat after I start cutting, it died. Kept doing that frequently for awhile. Sometimes would start back up and sometimes not ( right away). I started shutting off the PTO "immediately" when it would die and it would keep running. For awhile I would just hold it up while cutting. I was able to cut and when it started to die I would just flip the PTO switch off and on sometimes and it would keep running. If not it usually started right back up. First time I've noticed that. Anyway, I thought your suggestion sounded legit to me so I'll go out now and see what you're talking about. I'll let you know the results. Thanks.

Rvanwart

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere X530 (2012) 24HP Kawasaki - Weird Electrical Problem.. Engine randomly shuts off like it's out of gas but, NOT!
My X530 was doing this all the time since last season . On Monday of this week it would run about 15 minutes and cut off and then restart , sometimes right away sometimes after it would sit a few minutes . My son said it has to be electrical and asked me if it had a ECU . I looked it up and it does . He said replace it . So 2 day shipping from Amazon and I got my AM141075 ECU and replaced it yesterday . I have had no issues since ;) it actually starts without choking it now . Part was $100 .

Rvanwart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just read all the posts. Thankyou for the detailed description of your issue! Easiest way to differentiate between a fuel issue and electrical issue is to hit the choke when the engine starts to die. If it makes a difference, your issue is fuel related. If it doesnt make a difference, it is not fuel related. That being said, the one part not mentioned above is the interlock control module located under the dash. You can identify it by following the wires under the dash. It is held in place by a 10mm head screw. This is the 'brain unit' for the safety system. It has a time delay built into it. It can fail and randomly cut the spark to the coils. The way to properly test it is to disconnect the black wire at the engine. Mow your grass. If the engine never shuts off, the interlock module is your problem. Note: with the black kill wire disconnected, when you turn your key off, the engine will continue to run for a few seconds until the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb kills the fuel. Use caution. I have replaced many of these modules and Deere has subbed them many times. Good luck!
Will you are spot on . Wish I had that info last year :ROFLMAO: what an easy fix .

Alphadog

Threads
Hey Will. Right off, like you said, the choke didn't make a difference. Anyway, I guess I didn't get my head far enough up in the dash to see the module so I didn't do as you said. Found it 'after' the cut. Still sounds legit to me though, especially since it seems to have worked great for Rvanwart as recently as yesterday. My question to you is, if I disconnect the black wire and left it disconnected, would it hurt anything? My next cut won't be for a few weeks. I really don't want to cut the whole area with this JD but, it's the only way to test it. Thanks for the tips.

Rvanwart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Will. Right off, like you said, the choke didn't make a difference. Anyway, I guess I didn't get my head far enough up in the dash to see the module so I didn't do as you said. Found it 'after' the cut. Still sounds legit to me though, especially since it seems to have worked great for Rvanwart as recently as yesterday. My question to you is, if I disconnect the black wire and left it disconnected, would it hurt anything? My next cut won't be for a few weeks. I really don't want to cut the whole area with this JD but, it's the only way to test it. Thanks for the tips.
I suggest you order the part AM 141075 , it is litterly 1 10mm bolt and then unplug and then plug the new ECU . There is a cluster of wires that plug back in . My X530 now runs like new !!! Not sure what all the other wires control but when it comes to electic issues cutting corners always leads to another issue , see below what he went through and how it was an easy resolve ;)

watch

Last edited:

Alphadog

Threads
I know some time has passed on this but, I just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in with suggestions. I ordered the "control box" AM 141075 (took forever...I quit Amazon) and waited until next cut. Once I started cutting, I waited for it to shut down again. I made sure that when the engine quit, it still wouldn't start back up. Then I did a 'flash' change (unplugged old & plugged in new). It started right up. Before it quit, I clocked about 20 minutes cut time. After I installed the new control box, I mowed for a solid hour without failure. I don't know when I'll be using the mower again but, if this problem reoccurs, I'll be back.
Thanks again everyone. Hope I can be of service to someone else sometime in the future.

D

Deleted member 97405

I'm glad replacing the interlock module seems to have fixed your issue. I'm sorry for the delayed response. I set alerts for this post but never got any. I guess that feature doesn't work. I wanted to address your question about leaving the wire unplugged. It won't harm the machine, but it will cause the machine to take too long to shut down in the event of an accident or emergency so I wouldn't suggest unplugging that wire for any other purpose other than testing.

Alphadog

Threads
Thanks Will. I decided not to even try breaking the wire and just go ahead and cough up $100. I might have been tempted to leave it like that if I had tried, ha. I'm almost 70 and it's the nicest mower I've ever had for sure and I don't want to cheapen it or misuse it. I've always been hard on my mowers and finally trying to break that habit. Think it's time? Anyway, thanks again for you input.